VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe this ain't the right forum for this, but I try, maybe I get lucky.

Every now and then all downloaded files (that is files that are not 100% ready but have been downloaded to different rates) just gets to 0%.
    This happens when I start the utorrent. I have not changed any setting, nor have I changed the directories och the files in it.
    So when the torrents are at 0% it starts ti check, but every time it has checked the torrent to 100%, the file usually are at a moore less percentage than it was before.

For instance the movie x has been downloaded to 87%. You close the utorrent, open it again later but it is now at 0%, with the text label checking, so it starts to check from 0-100% (which takes quite som time), then when its ready, the movie x are at 27%. And so it continues.

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It sounds like you are not shutting down Utorrent properly,if you don't exit the program properly when it is restarted it checks the file first and then continues to download.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe try uninstalling, then reinstalling the program using the latest version. P2P programs like Utorrent check the file when you restart. For some reason yours is reading the % of completion differently when you restart the program. So the problem is either with the files or the program.

Other problems might be a badly fragmented drive that you are saving the files to. Or a drive with not enough room on it. Something seems to be corrupting either the file or the program. You can usually check the size of the files, even when they are incomplete. Or try using VLC to play them back. Utorrent or other P2P programs should also show you what is missing in your files under 'Transfer' at the bottom of the screen.
    Quote Quote  
  4. As I recall, uTorrent always does that. It doesn't seem to keep a metadata file to keep track of what parts have been downloaded and what parts haven't. So pt parses the partial file to see what's already been downloaded, then resumes where it left off.
    Quote Quote  
  5. That checking is normal behaviour, but a drop from 87% => 27% is abnormal

You should only lose a bit, not 60%.

If you stop the torrent before exiting you shouldn't lose that much data.

Something else is going on.

Sometimes fake torrents are set up by agencies that always fail hash checking, so you are reforced to download the same corrupt pieces over and over and it never completes and you go back to a lower %. They just want to record your IP address. No joke.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I download like 2 or 3 dozen GBs per week with uTorrent 1.7.6 and it never behaves like that (even if I set PC shutdown by a timer). And no other torrent application does. The only situation the program starts verifying partial files is when you manually delete something from d/l queue, then put it back to the list and resume (or start seeding your own torrent). Not a single bit is lost at this.
    I don't see any option (which could have been activated by chance) for checking files on start-up. Something wrong is with configuration files. Try to re-install and maybe clean-up registry with some utility.
    P.S. Before doing anything, look into options/preferences/other and make sure the 'auto-load torrents...' is unchecked.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm, I've been looking to every single aswear one by one.

1. Fatblooke: I think that you might be on to something. I have been closing and turning on uTorrent a couple of times very rapidly, usually because I have change the settings, and it says that I have to start the program all over again. But in some cases that is not the case, but I will be careful, after closing down uTorrent, wait for a couple of minutes before starting, or restart the computer.

2. Redwuds. Ok reinstall is a good idea, but before that I use 1.8, the latest one. I have planty of room on the drive and I know its not corrupt (hae been doing different kinds of disc checks on it).

3. Jagabo: it might be right, but it is frustrateing cause it takes so much time, especially when it happens now and then

4. poison: fake torrents, hmm intersting, could maybe be true in some cases, but not when it happens to many of the files. ok that much drop just happend to a file or two, so that could be right in thoose cases but propably not in the others

5. alex. yes I know that, when I was new did that, and did have problems when I changed names or directory of the files, but that is not true for this case.
    I've been recommended to under options/preferences/advanced change bt.gracful_shutdown to true.
    And also options/preferences/general enable pre-allocate all files. I don't really know what any of thoose settings do.
    And I cannot find the one you recommended to uncheck "auto-load torrents", Have 1.8 and there are no "others" under "preferences".
    Quote Quote