VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Vegas Movie Studio 16.

Media FX Video Stabilization takes 11 mins. on an 8 second clip

Is this plug in really this insanely slow?

11 mins. to stabilize an 8 second clip in 4k ?

This is literally unusable, unless I let it run for a month before I start editing.

What is going on ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't have that issue with Movie Studio 16. You didn't mention your computer specs or what kind of file you were stabilizing.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  3. Open a new project.

Drop the problem video clip on the track.

Stabilize it.

With HD footage, it shouldn't take much longer to stabilize than the length of the clip (e.g., 10 seconds to stabilize a 10-second clip).

I suspect you have fX, track motion, compositing, or some other things going on that must be computed before the stabilization can be done.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Vegas tries to stabilize the ENTIRE video file, not just the clip

So, it was trying to stabilize the entire 15 minute clip.

You need to create a Subclip and then it takes like 5 seconds on an 8 second clip
    Quote Quote  
  5. You need to understand that Vegas lets you apply fX at four different places in the process (stabilization is an fX).

You can apply the fX at the event level. This is almost always where you want to apply a stabilization fX.

You can apply the fX at the media level by applying it in the Project Media view. ALL events from that media will then have the fX applied.

You can apply the fX at the track level. This will affect every single event on that track.

You can apply the fX at the output level. This will apply the fX to the entire project.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Where do you control at what level you're applying an effect?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by GoodEnough View Post
    Where do you control at what level you're applying an effect?
    Didn't I answer exactly that question in post #5?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    No, I asked WHERE/HOW, now What.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Sorry, I don't understand what you're asking. Someone else will have to answer.

Here is my last attempt.

"Where" is contained in my post: each of the the controls for event, media, track, and output appear as tiny green icons on the appropriate part of the interface, e.g., the track fX control is on the track header, the event fX control is the same icon, but on the far right of each video event on each of the video tracks, etc.

The Vegas help files provide all of this information.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    GoodEnough,

This might help.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmlHM75ghLI

creakndale
    Quote Quote  
  11. If you are trying to stabilize one clip that is only 8 seconds long and it's taking 11 minutes, then something is wrong with that clip or your system. You did not respond to post #2 so it's really hard to diagnose your problem. I did not look a the video posted in #10 but maybe it helped you.
    Quote Quote  
  12. The OP is editing 4K, so stabilizing will most definitely take more time than the length of the clip. However, his problem has been determined (he was trying to stabilize the entire 15 minute clip). I have tried several times to help him understand how to use Vegas in order to avoid that problem, but he hasn't learned the program well enough to understand my instructions. Hopefully he'll read the manual or consult the help system.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Completely missed the 4k part. Thanks johnmeyer
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    4k a moot point.
    Post #4 was the first solution.
    Create subclip, or it does it to the ENTIRE file.
    Thread was bumped since I Wanted to know the other levels of applying the effect
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post

"Where" is contained in my post: each of the the controls for event, media, track, and output appear as tiny green icons on the appropriate part of the interface, e.g., the track fX control is on the track header, the event fX control is the same icon, but on the far right of each video event on each of the video tracks, etc.

The Vegas help files provide all of this information.
    Anyone have any idea what this stuff means?

What is a track?
    That word is not on my screen

I don't see any green icons anywhere on my screen.

What is an event? I have no events.
    Just a video file in "Project Media"
    And a video timeline on bottom.

Media means single file?

Output? Does that mean whole project?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Have you even looked at the manual??!!
    (assuming this is a legit copy)

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  17. Cornucopia is correct: you definitely need to RTFM.

Here is a screen capture which shows the major components of the user interface.

What is a track?
    A track is the horizontal space which contains your video and also your audio files. You can move the tracks up and down by grabbing the track header (the stuff to the left of the track) up and down.

I don't see any green icons anywhere on my screen.
    That is because you haven't added any fX. They turn green after you add one or more effects, but are white before that. Again, this stuff is in both the manual and also in the included help file. I have added arrows on my image to show you where they are for the events, the track, the project media, and for the output.

What is an event? I have no events.
    Once you place audio or video on a timeline, that becomes an event. Initially you have one event for that media file, but as you split that and trim it, the one media file can turn into dozens of events. The media file itself is never changed by splitting into events.

Media means single file?
    Yes, each file you add to your project shows up in the Project Media dialog (see the screen capture below). You can apply an effect (fX) to the entire video file or you can apply it to each event individually.

Output? Does that mean whole project?
    It means what you see in the Video Preview dialog or in the Master Bus mixer (which I forgot to show in my screen capture). Actually for audio, there are all sorts of amazing tricks you can do by changing the "audio chain." Consult the manual for a full tutorial on that subject. Remember, Vegas started out as an audio editor and then video was added at a later date.

[edit]Not sure why you said that 4K is a moot point. It is actually very germane to the discussion because the more pixels, the longer things take. 4K has about 4x the number of pixels as HD and therefore will take at least four times longer to process, no matter what operation you are doing.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks.
    My point about 4k was that it not the case of the massive render time for stabilization.
    The issue was that I was applying the effect to the entire media file, not the subclip.
    Even if a track is split, the FX was applied to the entire 15 min. media file.
    I had to create a subclip to apply stabilization to just the 8 second clip.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    I added the Brightness/Contrast FX to a clip.
    I see no Green plus anywhere.
    Using v16
    I think Vegas has totally changed from v13

I can't even remember the point of this conversation.

Bottom line, if you want to apply an FX to PART of a clip,
    you need to create a SUBCLIP, else, it applies the FX to the entire clip.
    For video Event FX

Well, except Brightness/Contrast, which automatically only applies to the selected clip.
    Only Tools->Video->Media FX needs a SUBCLIP.
    Last edited by GoodEnough; 9th Dec 2020 at 15:19.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I have version15 and they god rid of that green whatever on events for Fx. I have "Fx" letters on the right top for a event.

You navigate over your clip (long event) with mouse, press key "S" it will split it, then move it to the right and press "S" again. Now you have three events instead of one. You apply that effect, Rx on that middle one.

Why is Magix messing with it I have no idea, why?
    Quote Quote