VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm new here, and wasn't exactly sure where to post this, so I put it here.

I'm attempting to convert VHS tapes to digital files using a Capture Card, and RCA to HDMI adapter. The adapter is a Portta Composite to HDMI adapter, and the VHS player is an RCA 029550833. I can confirm that the VHS player works perfectly fine when connected directly to the TV using a composite cable. HOWEVER, when I connect it through the adapter (even directly to the TV with the HDMI out NOT through the capture card), no picture appears while the tape is playing or paused. When I stop the tape, the player's normal time and STOP text appear on a blue screen (like it would normally), but as soon as I play the tape, my Adapter's "NO SIGNAL" screen appears. Could this be some time of DRM protection on the part of the VHS player? If so, how does it detect that I'm using adapter. It can't be on the part of the tapes, because I also tested this with home-created tapes, and the same thing occurs. AGAIN, they play fine when I connect directly to the composite ports on the TV.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, as this is very confusing.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what kind of vhs tapes are you trying to capture ??
    store bought Hollywood movies or ones you've recorded yourself ??
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    ^ He said it happens on "home-created tapes".

If possible, return the device. Even if it worked, it would look bad.

https://youtu.be/P6-QYZ8h4Es?t=49
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaltsxntQIk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHlXTscODeE

That ghosting is ridiculous, colors are oversaturated, textures are flattened...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejZ8JmDlTtI

Note how the white SEGA screen is teal-tinted. That's one artifact I remember from when I tried one of these Chinese garbage scalers.
    Last edited by Brad; 8th Feb 2020 at 14:37.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Unfortunately it's probably too late to return. Anyway, do you have any suggestions for other adapters? Also, even if it did look bad, why isn't it working at all. The strange thing is, it's ONLY when the tape is playing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I guess you did buy the right upscaler/converter since there appears to be two quite similar ones. One is composite in/HDMI out whereas the other is HDMI in/composite out.

The other thing is to check that the converter is receiving power - LED is on.
    Quote Quote  
  6. It is definitely receiving power, as the UI of the VHS player comes through. In fact, it even starts to display the video when I press play, but then it immediately goes to no signal. Keep in mind that this happens no matter whether I plug it directly into the TV (through the adapter) or run it through my capture card. Also, the adapter works for other things (like my Wii.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Here, I made a video just for you. Note: there's no reason to listen to the audio unless you want to clear mouse clicks, VCR noises, and my neighbor's engine in the parking lot.

https://youtu.be/VVWTt873h_U

Tape-based sources are inherently unstable. I demonstrate this fact by using a special setting of an old capture card. At the start of the video, the card is set to expect a signal from a source like analog TV, digital cable box, DVD player, etc. Your Portta Composite to HDMI converter is likely always functioning in a mode like this, without any design consideration for VCR input.
    1. SAA7133 capture card is set to "TV" HSync mode.
    2. VHS tape is played on Mitsubishi HS-HD2000U with TBC off.
    3. Fast forward. Play.
    4. TBC on. Rewind. Play.
    5. TBC off again. Fast forward. Play. Short FF. Rewind. Play.
    6. Set "VCR" Hsync mode.
    7. Set "Fast Tracking" Hsync mode.
    8. Set "TV" Hsync mode again.
    [Attachment 51913 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 51914 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 51916 - Click to enlarge]

Try fast forward & rewind. The VCR generates a false sync signal that your converter may read corrrectly, as this capture card does in "TV" mode.
    Last edited by Brad; 8th Feb 2020 at 17:30. Reason: Suggestion for a troubleshooting step
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by spyjoshx View Post
    It is definitely receiving power, as the UI of the VHS player comes through. In fact, it even starts to display the video when I press play, but then it immediately goes to no signal. Keep in mind that this happens no matter whether I plug it directly into the TV (through the adapter) or run it through my capture card. Also, the adapter works for other things (like my Wii.)

Sometimes it helps to give this additional info straight away. Saves people time and trouble.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm just curious. How did you decide to go from composite to HDMI for capture. Was is because of an article or a YouTube video? The reason I ask is there's a certain video that was rightfully dismissed an absolutely bad way to do a capture.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Another old thread that I came across. In this one, a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 capture card (chip = SAA7164 & variants) displays a VHS input similarly to the "TV" mode of the SAA7133, but with frequent squelching to bluescreen. Your Portta converter is apparently muting the video immediately.

The user solved the problem by adding a Panasonic DMR-ES15 in passthrough. If you want HDMI output, you can use a DMR-ES25 like I do, but you need to get around HDCP -- either with a Chinese capture device that ignores it, or certain models of HDMI splitter that remove it.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/355991-VHS-Capture-issue-with-Hauppage-WinTV-HVR-2250
    Quote Quote