VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have source files at 352x480 that I’m trying to edit into smaller clips. I’m using OpenShot but have also tried a few other programs like Hit Film Express. I change the profile in OpenShot to CVD NTSC (352x480) and the file looks correct when playing within the application. Then I edit the file and export the project and choose the CVD NTSC (352x480) profile.

But the output file looks narrow when viewed, like half the width it's supposed to be.

Can anyone help me fix this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Open the file in mediainfo (text view is best) and verify its resolution and other info. If this doesn't provide any enlightenment
    post a short clip here to the thread
    Quote Quote  
  3. If the source is MPG, DAT, VOB, or some such, resize to 640x480 before export.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks to everyone for all the initial responses! The source file I'm using is .mp4 but I also have it in the original .vob and .m4v formats. All formats seem to react the same but I'm using .mp4 version as the source in my responses.

I pasted below the details from using the mediainfo application against the source file. It appears to suggest 352x480, 4:3 aspect ratio. What other info would I be looking for?

I've also uploaded four clips:
    1) Source file - looks normal
    2) Export at CVD 352x480 - width appears to double narrow
    3) Export at NTSC 29.97 fps 720x480 - width appears to be narrow
    4) Export at NTSC 1080p 59.94 fps 1920x1080 - width appears to be narrow

To manono's suggestion I tried resizing the file before outputting but that just seems to stretch it abnormally even viewing it within the application.

Lisfin's commented about changing the export settings in the tabs in the OpenShot export menu. In the "simple" tab I choose CVD NTSC (352x480) and in the advanced tab I keep the profile at CVD NTSC (352x480) with 4:3 aspect ratio, pixel ratio 20:11. I also tried setting the advanced tab profile to NTSC 29.97 (720x480) but this resulted in a narrow export as well.

So it seems like the application can properly process the file upon initial loading and it views correctly within the application when I set the profile to match the source file. The issue seems to occur when exporting the file. Even though I'm setting the export profile to same specifications as when I view it within the application.

And generally the source file looks fine in all the programs I use to view (VLC media player, Windows Media Player, etc.). What I'm trying to do is edit the video into smaller clips but every time I edit it the export width is narrowed.

Any thoughts on next steps?

Mediainfo details or source file
    General
    Complete name : C:\Users\andre\Desktop\DVD rips\Traffic Jam live in studio summer 1992\Website convert HQ m4v to mp4\Traffic Jam live in studio summer 1992_3.mp4
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media
    Codec ID : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
    File size : 16.8 MiB
    Duration : 1 min 38 s
    Overall bit rate : 1 440 kb/s
    Writing application : Lavf58.33.100

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L3
    Format settings : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, Reference frames : 4 frames
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Duration : 1 min 38 s
    Bit rate : 1 298 kb/s
    Width : 352 pixels
    Height : 478 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 59.940 (60000/1001) FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.129
    Stream size : 15.2 MiB (90%)
    Writing library : x264 core 157
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=2 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=6 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=15 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=30 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=18.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
    Codec configuration box : avcC
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Checkit783 View Post

To manono's suggestion I tried resizing the file before outputting but that just seems to stretch it abnormally even viewing it within the application.
    That might be because you're doing some funny business with the aspect ratio playback. No problem here. Just don't set it for 4:3. Was that you that doubled the framerate to 59.94fps? And created all the duplicate frames in the process? I don't use Openshot so I can't tell you where you went wrong. But using this script:

A=LWLibavVideoSource("Source file.mp4")
    B=LWLibavAudioSource("Source file.mp4")
    AudioDub(A,B)
    Spline36Resize(640,480)
    SelectEven()
    Trim(0,2474)

removing the superfluous duplicate frames and cutting off the garbage at the end, I got this:
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your 720x480 export has the wrong aspect ratio: you've exported it as 3:2.

Mediainfo:

Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 486 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 3:2
    My editor (not Openshot) opens "source file" as a proper 4:3 and when I export 352x476 4:3 (it won't accept 478), it also comes out as 4:3 in VLC Player and VideoRedo, but Virtual Dub opens it squashed. The weird aspect resolution must be throwing VDub.

I did a 640x480 4:3 export and the result displayed ok in VDub.

Just try what Manono did: export as 640x480 4:3.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Just try what Manono did: export as 640x480 4:3.
    I don't know Openshot, but I believe that's what Checkit783 tried. As a result, everyone became fat, if I interpret what he wrote correctly. I exported 1:1 (sar 1:1). No SAR or DAR. It does give 4:3 as the DAR in MediaInfo, though.
    I did a 640x480 4:3 export and the result displayed ok in VDub.
    Because VDub(2?) doesn't apply the 4:3. Maybe it plays properly in a player, though, maybe for the same reason as mine does.
    Last edited by manono; 3rd Jul 2021 at 21:49.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Manono
    but I believe that's what Checkit783 tried.
    I can't see where Checkit has exported as 640x480.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I can't see where Checkit has exported as 640x480.
    The quotation below where he seemed to try my earlier suggestion to resize to 640x480:
    Originally Posted by Checkit783 View Post
    Although, admittedly, he's a little vague about what he's tried and the results he got.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Fair enough. I think Openshot needs to be shot!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks again for all the great input. LOL agreed on OpenShot! I'm new to video editing and looked for a free one and OpenShot seemed to get good reviews.

The reason I was a little vague on resizing to 640x480 is that there doesn't seem to be a precise way to do this in OpenShot. You have the option to "scale" the X and Y values but only as multiples of 1, e.g., you can set X value to 1.8 for example to stretch the X value of the video to 640. But no option to define a specific new pixel width/height. Either way, when I use the scaling features it stretches the video within the application and when exported it does look better but when you launch it, it starts narrowed then slowly scales up to actually look correct. But it doesn't start out at the right width. So it kinda works but it's not a clean solution. I've uploaded a sample of this.

There is also an option to output at 640x480 and I tried that but it also appears narrow. I've uploaded a sample of this as well.

The 59.94fps resulted from ripping the .vob file from the DVD with Handbrake. I chose the "HQ" instead of the "fast" profile to ensure good quality in the output file. I also have a source file in .mp4 at 29fps and the same thing happens. So the fps rate doesn't seem to impact output file.

Good catch on 3:2 aspect ratio I didn't see that. Within the application before I export I check the settings and it says 4:3 but then the output file appears to be 3:2, so maybe the application itself has a bug and is exporting incorrectly at 3:2!

Perhaps I need to try a different application than OpenShot. Does anyone have any recommendation for a free application I could use? For context, the video is a rock concert (high school band) 2 hours in length and I want to cut into individual songs. It's simply that step of cutting then exporting the individual song file where the narrowing keeps occurring. Manono I wasn't sure how you did the "scripting" - is there is an application for this, perchance free?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  12. That is an AviSynth script then fed into an encoder.

Either you're not using this OpenShot correctly or you should switch to a different editing program. I don't know them but I'm sure others can tell you what programs allow you to properly resize your source (and also cut out the sections you want). As I'm sure you know, yours converted the video to 640x480 by adding black bars to the left and right, not what you wanted. You just wanted the video itself stretched out to 640.

As an experiment, although I use RipBot for encoding from AviSynth scripts, I dropped your Source file.mp4 into it and in Properties did a resize to 640x480. I encoded it and the result is 640x480 and it plays fine. The only problem is that it's still 59.94fps. But you could use your 29.97fps version or (better) your VOB to do the job properly.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by manono; 4th Jul 2021 at 21:13.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Shotcut seems like a good alternative, gets a better rating, there's even a portable version.
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/Shotcut
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with Manono, you should be using the VOB to edit and export your MP4s, not a Handbraked-MP4 which is the wrong resolution.

Losslessly rip your DVD to MPEG2 with DVDVOB2MPG, then use that to edit and re-encode to MP4. It'll be in the correct resolution and you won't lose quality on that initial VOB>MP4 conversion you did.

I had a quick look at Shotcut and the "Custom" export allowed me to set all the parameters (640x480, 4:3, 29.97), but it only exported as webm, and then every time it hung at either 1% or 20%. I certainly don't know how to use Shotcut though so could be doing something wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Hi everyone, sorry for the delays. I'm still working on getting these suggestions to work. I'll circle back when I get some traction. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.
    Quote Quote