VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all, in the past I've converted a ton of VHS, 8mm tape, and MiniDV (SD and HDV) to various formats. I have a ton of experience in this realm. Lately I've had a couple folks ask me about transferring some old 8mm film they shot years ago. I think I understand the basic process of using a converted for it, but need some advice on an affordable device that will give worthwhile results. My understanding is that the devices I'm looking at scan the frames individually as the reel progresses and saves it into a video file on a onboard SD card. I have no problem being able to take the file later and adjusting speed and such. I've used Sony Vegas/Magix for years for editing.

Here's the machine I'm looking at possible buying. If I get enough reels I MIGHT make enough to cover the cost of the device so I'm not looking to go crazy price wise. I'm willing to take a little bit of a loss for the experience though.

https://www.amazon.com/Magnasonic-Scanner-Converts-Digitize-FS81/dp/B083ZLP2MY/ref=psd...09G8LFPNK?th=1

So has anyone ever used a device like this? Any tips and tricks to pass along if so?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The is an old addage 'you get what you pay for'

Granted that I have not used such a device - I did transfers using a 'mirror box' where a real-time projection was then recorded direct to video. That unit approx 15 years ago cost c. £100

For some feedback on the type of unit you are considering then there is a long thread on here:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/366069-The-Reflecta-Super8-film-scanner-to-avi-conversion-thread

But this device will cost you somewhat more than the one you propose.

We have several members who have done a lot of 8mm etc. transfers. Johnmeyer immediately comes to mind.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yea, I totally understand the get what you pay for adage. If I buy a $300-400 device I'm not expecting 4k Hollywood quality restoration quality. I'm looking to take handheld 8mm footage recorded 40+ years ago and get it into digital format in a quality that is comparable to the original so the person who recorded said footage can enjoy those old memories again. Basically I want to make sure if I do this I do it well enough that they are justified in trusting me with their memories and I'm giving them a worthwhile product at the end. A device like the Magnasonic I'm looking at seems like it should be a decent starting place. If it doesn't work out I won't be throwing away a ton of money.
    Quote Quote