VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

I have some old family movies that are stored on a NAS that I would like to play on my television.
    I tried some software but most of the movie players do not support DVD files. I tried also VLC but once a cast the video to my tv I cannot use the dvd menu to select the different chapters. Is there a player that I could use for this purpose ?

Available hardware :
    MacBook Pro macOS 11.6.2
    Ipad
    Samsung Smart TV Q95T
    Chromecast
    QNAP NAS

Thanks for your input ! Much appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Consider buying a $50 Chromecast With Google TV which is a capable media player, unlike earlier Chromecast models. I downloaded the Android version of KODI (free) from the Google Play Store and installed it on my Chromecast With Google TV that is connected to my non-smart bedroom TV. KODI allows playing DVDs (including menus) from DVD files and folders or DVD ISOs stored on a Windows computer that is set up for file sharing. Setting up KODI is somewhat time-consuming but it does work. The Chromecast With Google TV is made for wireless networking but if you have a wired network it is possible to get an adapter from Google that allows using an Ethernet connection.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 28th Dec 2021 at 12:15.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    thanks for your reply. I will check out KODI.
    Quote Quote