VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Dears,

Is there any way to make VCD, Audio and Data CD in only one CD?
    I wanna make a VCD (5 min,), two track Audio CD (03 min.) and one .avi file (10 MB) that I can play VCD in DVD Player, Audio CD in my car and .avi file in my computer.

Thanks everybody!

Ricardo
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    data and vcd - no problem

data and audio cd -- no problem

data and vcd and audio cd -- might be possable
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi!
    FireBurner allow you to add different tracks to a CD. However I'm not sure if the CD will play if you put Video, Audio and Data on the same CD, but you can always try on a CD-RW to see if it works.

// Znooky
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    AFAIK when burning mixed CDs, the audio part must be the first track for CD players to pick it up. I know Nero has a template for "CD Extra" (I think they call it that), where you can add your audio tracks, and then add all of the data stuff as well and it will burn as two tracks. I think DVD Players look for the folders, so if you burn the VCD folders and the AVI in the data track, all should be sweet.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes you can do it on a standard VCD.

Use VCDEasy to make an image of a VCD. With VCDEasy, you can put additional data files on the VCD filesystem.

Then, use Fireburner to put additional audio tracks at the end.

Search for the thread that looks at making VCDs with audio tracks and you'll see how to do it.

BTW, this is the only way to make the disc where the VCD component will work. VCDs are not simply data discs... the physical location of the data are of prime importance so just making a "VCD like" filesystem on a CD-ROM will not work.

BTW, "CD-Extra" works by burning the audio as the first session and the data as a second session. This concept would not work for a VCD to function as a VCD.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by vitualis

Then, use Fireburner to put additional audio tracks at the end.

BTW, this is the only way to make the disc where the VCD component will work. VCDs are not simply data discs... the physical location of the data are of prime importance so just making a "VCD like" filesystem on a CD-ROM will not work.

BTW, "CD-Extra" works by burning the audio as the first session and the data as a second session. This concept would not work for a VCD to function as a VCD.
    Interesting. I could have sworn that I read that CD players can only read the first track and that is why Nero burns the audio as the first track.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. No audio CD players can only (i.e., usually) read the first SESSION.

Since CD-ROM drives look for data on the last session, that works great for CD Extra discs. Audio CD players ignore the data session completely (so you don't have the data coming up as a phantom track) and the disc still works fine for data on a CD-ROM.

This is contrasted to the older style CD Plus discs that simply has the data as the first track on the CD. Depending on your CD player, it would either intellegently skip the first track and play the first audio track, or it would play the data track as silence, or it will play the data track has speaker destroying digital noise.

Since the VCD data has to be in the first session (and not only that, key data is in the first track of the disc), CD Extra is inherently incompatible with VCD. However, VCD specs allow for audio tracks AFTER the video data and the VCD specs also includes an ISO filesystem for files. Depending on how you author your disc, you can easily make a disc with both VCD data (that would work as a VCD), a filesystem with user data files that can be read on any PC with a CD-ROM drive and audio tracks.

The caviat is there are some restrictions. The audio track will (without your editing the source code to VCDImager and recompiling a custom version) at least be the third physical track on the disc (track 1 = logical data for VCD and filesystem, track 2 = manditory video track) and the filesystem of the disc will be limited to ISO level 2 (i.e., not Joliet).

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thanks for the explanation - muchly appreciated.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not really following you to well, but mainly because I read it too fast, So what you are saying is that in order for it to be a VCD that has to be on the first session, so I have to burn a multisession disc. In which I will have to include the menu and video files into the first VCD session. Would I also include the music files to the vcd menu in that session if i want them to play on a computer also from the menu, or would I somehow refrence them later to the 3rd audio session? I will obviously have to try this out, Also what I wanted to share, is the ones that I have seen this done to previously, I believe to be done in flash, so it keeps the video file size down. If this seems to be a better way and a more compatible way then maybe I will have to learn flash real quick... maybe just do an audio session and then an "autorun.bat" for the computer that boots the flash exe. what do you think?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Great info, this works for Mac Too?
    Quote Quote