VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi. Thanks for stopping by.

I've streamed Amazon JAWS 4K UHD, and it's smoother (less grainy) looking---without sacrificing clarity---than my JAWS 4K UHD disc.

I've used my external UHD drive, and my Panasonic UHD player to play the disc. I use an ACER 280 4k UHD, HDR 10 monitor. The HDMI cable is 4k 18Gbs, HDR, HDCP 2.2.

Unless the JAWS streaming content is actually 8K?
    Quote Quote  
  2. The BD is probably more faithful to the actual film -- full of grain. Amazon is interested in reducing the bitrate so they remove all the grain.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The BD is probably more faithful to the actual film -- full of grain. Amazon is interested in reducing the bitrate so they remove all the grain (which costs lot of bitrate).
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ZackyDog View Post
    Hi. Thanks for stopping by.

I've streamed Amazon JAWS 4K UHD, and it's smoother (less grainy) looking---without sacrificing clarity---than my JAWS 4K UHD disc.

I've used my external UHD drive, and my Panasonic UHD player to play the disc. I use an ACER 280 4k UHD, HDR 10 monitor. The HDMI cable is 4k 18Gbs, HDR, HDCP 2.2.

see this thread post # 15 - https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=318530
    see if your display is set up properly.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Hi. Thanks for stopping by.

see this thread post # 15 - https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=318530
    see if your display is set up properly.
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. bad hdr setting on your tv maybe
    Quote Quote  
  7. Post a small sample of each so we can see ourselves.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I figured out that the Amazon 4K UHD streaming version, is really an upscaled version of the regular Blu-ray disc, and not the 4K UHD disc.

I did change out my cables to premium certified 4K UHD cables. Fortunately, they were inexpensive.

Here's a comparison of the JAWS 4K UHD and Blu-ray versions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW8zNI8Ir-0

Thanks to all who tried to help.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I figured out that the Amazon 4K UHD streaming version, is really an upscaled version of the regular Blu-ray disc
    How did you figure this out ? Be interested to know. Did Amzn tell you this ?
    Last edited by codehound; 11th Sep 2021 at 18:54.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Jaws 1 is one of my favorite movies, and I watch it every time it comes on TV, the only thing is I would like to see a slightly updated "Director's Cut" with a couple of small changes:

1) Replace the boat with a nuclear powered aircraft carrier

2) Replace the great white shark with a black sea bass

3) Change Chief Brody's line to "We're going to need a smaller boat".
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    jaws 1 is one of my favorite movies, and i watch it every time it comes on tv, the only thing is i would like to see a slightly updated "director's cut" with a couple of small changes:

1) replace the boat with a nuclear powered aircraft carrier

2) replace the great white shark with a black sea bass

3) change chief brody's line to "we're going to need a smaller boat".
    ffs Image
    [Attachment 60682 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by codehound View Post
    I figured out that the Amazon 4K UHD streaming version, is really an upscaled version of the regular Blu-ray disc
    How did you figure this out ? Be interested to know. Did Amzn tell you this ?
    I have both the JAWS Blu-ray and the 4k UHD discs. I have done numerous comparisons, but most recently with my Blu-ray disc. My Blu-ray matches the "4k UHD" Amazon streaming.
    Quote Quote  
  13. The PC doesn't have HDR (yet, I ordered a GPU with HDMI 2.0 and HDR), but the standalone 4K UHD player does. It looks better/perfect, using the latter and my new premium certified 4K UHD cables have also helped.

Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by ZackyDog View Post
    The PC doesn't have HDR (yet, I ordered a GPU with HDMI 2.0 and HDR), but the standalone 4K UHD player does. It looks better/perfect, using the latter and my new premium certified 4K UHD cables have also helped.

And...............?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by codehound View Post
    The PC doesn't have HDR (yet, I ordered a GPU with HDMI 2.0 and HDR), but the standalone 4K UHD player does. It looks better/perfect, using the latter and my new premium certified 4K UHD cables have also helped.

And...............?
    And...............I'm waiting for the new GPU so I can have HDR on my desktop.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Good for you - and in the Video Streaming Downloading forum we need to know this because........?

And have you got any bigger screengrabs?
    Last edited by codehound; 13th Sep 2021 at 20:02.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by s-mp View Post
    bad hdr setting on your tv maybe
    Yes, or on my monitor in this case. I shouldn't use HDR/it in desktop mode (until I get my new GPU). It makes videos and pictures look grainier.

When I bypass the desktop GPU, and connect the monitor (with HDR activated) to a standalone 4K UHD player, it looks perfect.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by ZackyDog View Post
    Originally Posted by s-mp View Post
    bad hdr setting on your tv maybe
    Yes, or on my monitor in this case. I shouldn't use HDR/it in desktop mode (until I get my new GPU). It makes videos and pictures look grainier.

When I bypass the desktop GPU, and connect the monitor (with HDR activated) to a standalone 4K UHD player, it looks perfect.
    Congratulations, I am sure this information will assist everyone greatly with downloading streams from various websites. Thank you. And thank you for the brilliant screengrabs too of your "premium certified" cables. Utterly amazing.
    Quote Quote  
  19. It's just film bro.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by 4kblurayguru View Post
    It's just film bro.
    Yeah, I know but every little bit helps. I've been seduced by HDR.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    Post a small sample of each so we can see ourselves.
    I just got a discrete GPU with HDR. I would post a 4K/2160P 10-bit HDR screenshot, but it looks washed out (the meta data doesn't transfer [?]). Blu-ray/1080P screenshots look great/match the original.

Regards.
    Quote Quote  

22. 4K top, no HDR; Blu-ray bottom

HDR results in a faded/washed out look.
    Quote Quote  
  23. HDR has to be tone mapped for SDR displays. 10bit HDR downscaled, not tone mapped, tone mapped:

[Attachment 61278 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    HDR has to be tone mapped for SDR displays. 10bit HDR downscaled, not tone mapped, tone mapped:

[Attachment 61278 - Click to enlarge]
    Tone mapped? Does that mean, adjusted and/or compensated, etc.?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by ZackyDog View Post
    Tone mapped? Does that mean, adjusted and/or compensated, etc.?
    Kinda.
    Tone mapping is a technique used in image processing and computer graphics to map one set of colors to another to approximate the appearance of high-dynamic-range images in a medium that has a more limited dynamic range.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Last edited by ZackyDog; 28th Oct 2021 at 05:33.
    Quote Quote