VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought a Samsung un40h5003afxza TV from Best Buy for $299 plus tax and am happy with the picture but when I went to hook up my 1TB WD MyBook, the TV did not recognize it. I put some files on a thumb drive and the tv recognized the drive and played the files just fine. Both drives are formatted to NTFS so I'm not sure what the problem is. I thought that ConnectShare Movie was supposed to use thumb drives and HDD drives.

Any help would be appreciated.

Never mind, downloaded the manual and it says that Media Play does not support USB HDD. I guess I'll have to hook up my WD Media Player and invest in larger USB Thumbdrives.
    Last edited by DarrellS; 24th Mar 2016 at 16:26.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The TV probably doesn't supply enough power for the drive. If it has a connector for external power it will probably work.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From the manual:

Need-to-Know List before using Media Play (USB)

The file system supports FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS.

Certain types of USB Digital camera and audio devices may not
    be compatible with this TV.

Media Play only supports USB Mass Storage Class (MSC)
    devices. MSC is a Mass Storage Class Bulk-Only Transport
    device. Examples of MSC are Thumb drives and Flash Card
    Readers. Devices should be connected directly to the TV’s USB
    port. USB HDD is not supported.

Before connecting your device to the TV, please back up your
    files to prevent them from damage or loss of data. SAMSUNG is
    not responsible for any data file damage or data loss.

A USB device that requires high power (more than 0.5A) may not
    be supported.

I can only assume that the TV uses it's own power through USB and can not use drives that use their own power supply like the MyBook or any other external hard drive enclosure. If I had bought the TV for the media player, I would be pretty upset but I was just looking for a cheap TV to replace a 24" for my brother.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can get a usb cable that has a secondary usb output for power and connect it to a usb charger,it will supply enough power to connect as a usb hdd,it says usb hdd is not supported so people don't try and hook up their usb hdd without an external power supply.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hooked up the WD Media Player and it would not recognize the HDMI connection so I hooked up the AV cables and it saw the player but it couldn't see the HDD so I need to hook it up to the PC and make sure it still works.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Took it apart and plugged it into the PC and it spun right up with all files and folders intact. When it's hooked up to the WD Media Player, the lights are supposed to pulse while it's searching the drive but the lights come on solid so it's either not searching the drive or it does not see it. I tried the thumb drive in the WD player and it works. I have an external HDD enclosure I'll try.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The external enclosure didn't work either. I hooked the HDMI cable back up and the TV saw the WD player which it didn't do before but the WD player still doesn't see a HDD drive. Only the thumb drive. I'll see if I have another HDD I can try. If I have to buy another media player then the $299 wasn't a good deal after all.
    Quote Quote