VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I am currently trying to convert a PAL-DVD to NTSC. I have recorded it from a PAL-Tape with a Panasonic stand-alone dvd-recorder.

I followed this guide:
    http://www.geocities.com/xesdeeni2001/StandardsConversion/index.html

It worked quite well, but it was only acceptable when I de-interlaced the video. If I don't, there are ugly lines on PC AND TV, if i de-interlace it looks good on both, PC/TV. But I read everywhere that there is quality loss, when a video is de-interlaced, so I want to keep it interlaced, but what did I do wrong??

Second question, my dvd can play both PAL and NTSC, how can I be sure that my dvd will work in an NTSC only player? It plays well on my player and PowerDVD tells me it's NTSC. is that enough? or could there be other problems?

thanks!

Greetings
    Quote Quote  
  2. morgoth,

I'm not very experienced when it comes to interlacing, but I'm sure someone who knows what they're talking about can help with this one. The only thing that I can think of is that you might have:

- Encoded the interlaced source as progressive, so the player you are using plays it back wrongly
    - A funny effect can occur if you have the fields set up wrongly, if this happens then reverse them

If you have encoded and authored your DVD as NTSC (as you obviously have since PowerDVD says it is) then it will play fine on an NTSC-only player. All you need to worry about is if the player is compatible with the media you have used.

Hope this may do something to help,

Cobra
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You may not be able to convert it without de-interlacing. You're moving from a PAL line system to an NTSC line system. Different number of lines, so the interlaced lines won't look the same when the frame is resized to NTSC resolution. For this reason, you have to deinterlace or those lines will look all wacky when you resize to NTSC. Maybe there's another way to keep the interlacing, but I have no idea how.
    Jeremy Morrow
    Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
    Quote Quote  
  4. thanks.

If i set the DC Component Precision to 10 bits instead of 9, it works fine (without deinterlacing).
    I have no idea what this does, though. At least it works now..
    Quote Quote