VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    They do nothing. Just started recently, I assume...usually adjustments are fairly minor. Noticed just now because I made a rather large change.

I use GraphEdit to get the output straight from the Live2 into AviSynth with a waveform and vectorscope for adjustments. That all works just fine, tweaking in GraphEdit, but in VDub it doesn't make a difference.

There was a large green area at the bottom of the capture last night, and I fiddled with something about the format to fix that (it was only capturing 80% of the picture, vertically, then using the green to fill out to the required capture size). Not sure if that broke the proc amp settings somehow, or how the vertical resolution got broken in the first place.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That large green area. You were not by any chance attempting to capture a NTSC tape ie PAL60 ?

If so you capture with the green area and crop the 96 lines (576 - 480) after.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's a PAL tape, and a PAL deck, and I had everything set for PAL capture, but somehow the source signal or whatever it was (I'm at a different machine right now) got changed to NTSC_M in the Live2's settings. I changed it back to one of the PAL ones and all was fine.

The proc amp settings not working, however, I have no idea.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I gave up trying to capture with Vdub because of the audio sync problems, so I can't really comment on the Proc amp with Vdub. I use AmarecTV v3.10 (and v2.?? before) and the proc amp settings definitely work there with my USB Live2. I'm using Win10 x64 and capturing through the Svideo input. I doubt it's relevant but up until the Fall Creator's Win10 update last year I used to cap to Lagarith. I tried UT Video but for some reason the settings aren't saved in Vdub, Vdub FM or AmarecTV (either version) so I've gone back to Huffyuv. The proc amp works with all of them.

Do you have Hauppauge's WinTV software installed? I could well be wrong, but I have a vague memory that I had some issues with settings when trying to use Vdub back in the early days. I *think* I solved it by removing WinTV. Having said that, it could well have been a pretty old version of WinTV.

p.s. If you do try AmarecTV DO NOT try any version after 3.10 as you'll need to use their proprietary, paid for codec and it will take a bit of cleaning up of the registry before you can try installing an earlier version.

Just another thought, I have to reset the Proc amp settings after each boot as they always go back to their default settings.
    Last edited by TimA-C; 27th Feb 2018 at 05:05. Reason: Another thought.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
    The proc amp settings not working, however, I have no idea.
    Just start up GraphEdit and adjust the proc amp there (you don't need to build a full graph, just add the filter with the proc amp, and adjust it). With most capture devices the changes will show up live in VirtualDub or whatever other program you're using to capture.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That's what I'm doing to figure out which settings I need - I open the graph in AviSynth with a waveform and vectorscope to adjust.

It's never affected VDub before, I always had to go into the Capture Filter settings and change them to what I determined they should be (which is the good news, I have those settings written down for all the tapes I captured), but now I'm seeing no changes in VDub.

Unless having the graph open in GraphEdit might affect it? Or having the settings open in GraphEdit? Or you're thinking of something completely different to what I'm thinking of?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, if I change them in GraphEdit in my existing graph after opening Capture Mode in VDub it works. No amount of fiddling with the settings inside VDub seems to do a damn thing, either through the Capture Filter proc amp settings or VDub's own Levels settings.

However, changing them in GraphEdit before opening capture mode - which is what I've been doing, as I can't have Capture Mode active while viewing the graph output in AviSynth - makes no difference to the VDub picture. So I'd presumably have to go in and bump a setting up and then back down (or vice versa) to get the changes to kick in with VDub.

No idea why this started happening though. It was all working fine a few months ago.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Actually that won't work either, everything resets to default when I hit the capture button.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I presume you've tried the usual such as uninstalling & re-installing Vdub, just in case a shared dll or something has been changed by another program's updates? Disconnecting your network connection and disabling any security programs to rule that out. I *think* I'm right in thinking that Norton, Kaspersky and Avast have all released patches recently to fix/work with issues with the Meltdown and Spectre patches from Intel and MS. I assume other security companies have done the same. You might want to manually check for updates for whatever internet security you're using. Keep checking until there are no more updates - just 'cos you've found one, installed it and the program is telling you that it's up to date, DON'T BELIEVE IT! Trust me on this.

Depending upon which version of (I assume) Windows you're using, you might want to try running one of tweaking. com's fixes for resetting permissions of system files and/or registry keys in case something's changed there and is preventing your new settings from being saved? At the very least set a restore point (I usually make a couple) before running either. Good luck.

Edit: Vdub's not installed, is it? It's a portable program. D'oh! Might still be worth re-extracting/downloading a fresh copy just in case one or more of the files has been corrupted.
    Last edited by TimA-C; 28th Feb 2018 at 04:43. Reason: Being stupid!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
    Actually that won't work either, everything resets to default when I hit the capture button.
    That never happened to me. But if you can't get VirtualDub to capture the way you want -- use another program to capture.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I know what I'm doing with VDub, at least. And it worked before...

I think I tried different software once, but that was a miserable failure. Not sure what it was though.

EDIT: Actually pretty sure it was WinTV, which goes back to the earlier suggestion that WinTV might cause issues in VDub. So I uninstalled it, and rebooted, but I'm still having the same problems.

Additionally, Media Player Classic will no longer open the AVS file containing the graph, so I'm unable to determine what the settings should be for future tapes. Says it couldn't render one or more of the pins, and I might need to install a codec or filter.
    Last edited by koberulz; 28th Feb 2018 at 10:22.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm pretty certain you need to use the 32-bit version of MPC-HC with .avs files.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's not MPC-HC, it's just MPC, and it was working just fine earlier today before I uninstalled WinTV. It must have taken something else with it, but I don't know what.
    Quote Quote  
  14. If you re-install WinTV, does MPC work again? Just out of interest, any reason why you stuck with MPC?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Because it works? Is there any reason not to?

The script opens the graph with no audio and a given frame count, converts to YV12, then adds the waveform monitor and vectorscope. I added a video renderer to the graph, and that worked just fine. So I tried stripping away everything but the initial line of the AVS and that also worked. Turns out the issue is the YV12 conversion, as it works just fine as long as I comment out that line (for values of "works fine" that include an AviSynth error about Histograms only being available in planar).

MPC-HC doesn't give me an error message popup, the status bar just says it can't render the file.

This is without reinstalling WinTV.

EDIT: Just realised it was DScaler, not WinTV, that I tried as alternate capture software. Uninstalling DScaler does not resolve the issue with VDub's proc amp settings.

EDIT 2: Reinstalling WinTV fixes the YV12 problem. I've been using VDub 1.9.11, which is stored in my Dropbox folder for easy access on both my laptop (for capture) and desktop (editing) machines. Downloaded 1.9.11 to my laptop's desktop, still couldn't make the proc amp work. Downloaded 1.10.04 to my laptop's desktop and found it was already extracted there. Tried that, same issue. Deleted it, extracted the new download, same issue.
    Last edited by koberulz; 6th Mar 2018 at 11:46.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone have any other suggestions regarding the proc amp settings?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Use an analog proc amp upstream of your cap device. It's better there anyway.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  18. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The only proc amps I've ever heard of are NTSC-only.

The VDub settings have been fine until now, and I have no idea why they stopped working.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've had VDub 1.9.11 in my Dropbox for easy access on both my laptop and desktop. Just set up the Hauppauge (but not GraphEdit or WinTV) on my desktop and I'm having the same issue. So it's not related to my machine. The Capture settings were actually completely wrong and completely different to what's on my laptop even though I was running it out of Dropbox, so does it save settings locally somewhere? Is there an identical settings mismatch?

It also occurs with version 1.10.4, which has been on my desktop's data drive for a while now. I don't have access to a machine untainted by the Dropbox version of VDub at present.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Tried it with a computer that's never had VDub on it, and the same issue occurred.

It always defaults to an NTSC decoder, though, and this started when my laptop somehow got set to NTSC. So I'm hoping I've just picked the wrong PAL setting.

Options are PAL_B, PAL_D, PAL_G, PAL_H, PAL_I, PAL_M, PAL_N, and PAL_60. PAL_M and PAL_60 only detect 525 lines, the rest detect 625.
    Quote Quote  
  21. PAL_60 uses 525 line, 29.97 fps, NTSC timing but with PAL chroma (4.43 MHz subcarrier rather than NTSC's 3.58). PAL_M is the Brazilian variant with 525 line, 29.97 fps, NTSC timing and 3.58 MHz chroma subcarrier (but I believe it uses the alternating line format from PAL; PAL = Phase Alternating Line).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL
    Quote Quote  
  22. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What's the difference between the others?

I've rotated through all except M and 60, and still no effect from the proc amp settings. I have no idea WTF is going on, it all worked perfectly a couple of weeks ago and now it's broken across three different machines. The VDub Levels setting is the only way to make changes show up at all and it resets itself when I start either a capture or a test capture.

I tried AmarecTV, and I can see the changes happening in the preview as I drag the sliders around, and they stick when I hit OK on the Device Setting dialog. But when I hit OK on the Config dialog, it goes black for a second and comes back looking exactly the same as before I adjusted the proc amp settings.

So it looks like a Hauppauge issue, not a VDub issue. No idea how to resolve though.

EDIT: Updated the Hauppauge drivers, still no dice.
    Last edited by koberulz; 17th Mar 2018 at 10:49.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Further testing: WinTV and Hauppauge Capture don't have any way to access the Live2's proc amp settings that I can see, so I pulled out my GraphEdit graph and adjusted them there and was successfully able to capture with the new settings. It even applied the settings when the software was first opened, as opposed to VDub where I have to open capture mode then apply the settings in order for them to take effect.

When starting a capture in VDub, or exiting the settings in either VDub or AmarecTV, the video area refreshes. That's obviously what's causing the issue, it's not reading the previous proc amp settings. WinTV and Hauppauge Capture both just start capturing, without the display going blank at all no matter what I do with the settings, thus the issue not occurring.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Try on windows Xp, it's buggy on windows7 and up. I mean devs use pro versions of graphedit and make their A/V filters-drivers to work around bugs/restrictions.
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  25. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I don't exactly have a WinXP machine lying around.

Using GraphEdit to set the proc amp for AmarecTV works, as it doesn't reload before capture. Lots of settings I'm unfamiliar with though.
    Quote Quote  
  26. What are your proc amp settings for the usb live2?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Just in case this helps anyone with a similar situation:

I've recently had a similar issue with my USB Live2 ignoring any changes made with the Proc amp, after years of it working as expected. I *think* it was after updating the copy of WinTV from 7.?? to 8.?? - I also had an old Nova-T USB Freeview tuner in the system, which was playing up. (It's dead now!) - but I thought it could've been a dratted Win10 update, and was trying the later version of WinTV just in case . . .

Eventually, I uninstalled WinTV, uninstalled any drivers for the Live2 from the Device Manager, and then (I think) manually deleted the obvious Hauppauge/ WinTV entries from the Registry (after making a couple of System Restore Points). Rebooted the PC and re-installed the most recent version of WinTV v7.?? I had in my Hauppauge Downloads folder. Procamp working with the USB Live2 and AmarecTV 3.10 again. (I.e. NOT resetting to defaults when starting a capture.)

Have just replaced the Nova-T with a WinTV-DualHD USB twin HD Freeview tuner that came with WinTV 8.5 download. Installing the new WinTV uninstalled the old version 7.?? and then informed me that I was eligible for a free upgrade to V10.?? which I took up. Both the new DualHD and Live2 seem to be working fine together with WinTV 10.?? installed. I tend to use AmarecTV with the Live2 and NPVR for the Freeview recordings.
    "Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
    Quote Quote