Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When previewing one of my DVDs with DVD2AVI I get the following result:

Aspect Ratio:16:9
    Frame Rate:29.970 fps
    Video Type: FILM
    Frame Type: this one keeps changing from Interlaced to Progressive

I don't understand why it isn't either Interlaced or Progressive?

In any case when trying to create a SVCD mpg, the video is jumpy.

Any thoughts?

Regards
    Amelia
    Quote Quote  
  2. Perhaps you have noticed it's often like this: Video Type: 92% film, or 35% NTSC. It means the video stream is a mixture of progressive frames and interlaced frames, often as a result of 3:2 pulldown. Need to know more details on your encoding settings to have some idea why your SVCD is jumpy.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD2AVI frequently gets Frame Type wrong - at least it does whenever I use it (with PAL DVDs).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well this is the first NTSC DVD I have tried to encode. All my Pal ones worked fine. I'm not even sure if the DVD is a Copy. It looks real, but I am not 100% sure.

Poplar, you are correct in DVD2AVI comes up with a percentage NTSC.

I will do a little more research into this and get back to you.

Thanks Again
    Amelia
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Lots of DVD's will have an "Interlaced" preview sequence at the beginning (this movie brought to you by X studios), but the rest of the movie is "Progressive". This will generate a mix % of either one.

If you're trying for "FILM" rate (23.976 frames/sec), and you get an average % of over 90% when you're done, rest easy, your DVD is "Progressive". Use "Forced FILM".

If it's only 75%, you might have an "Interlaced" one (29.97 frames/sec), so you'll have to leave it unaltered.

PAL movies will likely not show a discrepency because there is no difference in frame rate (so it is what it is, 25 fps). And, movies will EITHER be Interlaced OR Progressive, maybe not mixed. Just a guess... Someone correct me if I talk out my be-hind.

Is this movie an Anime (Japanese Cartoon) by any chance? This can be a whole other ballgame... some have screwy formatting where Interlacing doesn't follow the usual pattern (you only notice when you try to rip)...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by homerpez
    . . .PAL movies will likely not show a discrepency because there is no difference in frame rate (so it is what it is, 25 fps). And, movies will EITHER be Interlaced OR Progressive, maybe not mixed. Just a guess... Someone correct me if I talk out my be-hind.
    Up until now all the SVCD I have created have been from Pal and based on what I have come accross you appear to be correct.

The movie isn't actually an Anime . . Its Spy Kids.

When reviewing it in DVD2AVI the Frame Typekeeps changing from Interlaced to Progressive very quickly. If you press ESC sometimes its on Interlaced and most times its on Progressive.

Regards
    Amelia
    Quote Quote  
  7. PAL movies will likely not show a discrepency because there is no difference in frame rate (so it is what it is, 25 fps). And, movies will EITHER be Interlaced OR Progressive, maybe not mixed. Just a guess... Someone correct me if I talk out my be-hind.
    Mostly true but...
    there are a few hybrid interlaced/progressive PAL DVD's and
    a growing minority running at 24fps/progressive. Mostly this is because
    the vob's contain mixed source video/film but I have come across
    a couple of titles that were progressive source with interlaced
    titles and special effects.
    Quote Quote