VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello All,
    Sorry for the basic question but I am at a stand still.

I am using Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12. I have put together a video that has turned out bigger than what can fit on a dual layer DVD, about 10 gig. So I'll have to put the finished video on a flash drive, instead of a DL- DVD (unless I split it into two discs.)

When I went to play the USB flash drive on my TV with a small sample video it wouldn't load because it was in AVI format.
    I see where I can "render as" Mp4, but which .mp4 type? There are so many to choose from. I live in the US and would like to keep quality up and view as 16:9

Also if anyone knows if I can "compress" my movie to fit on a single DL-disc, I would like to know that too

Thanks in advance. This forum has helped me in the past. A tip o' the hat to poisondeathray!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Sgtpeprz View Post
    I see where I can "render as" Mp4, but which .mp4 type? There are so many to choose from. I live in the US and would like to keep quality up and view as 16:9
    The type supported by your TV. Check the manual. But if the TV is relatively new it's likely to be AVC/AAC with profile high, level 4.1 (Blu-ray compatible).

Originally Posted by Sgtpeprz View Post
    Also if anyone knows if I can "compress" my movie to fit on a single DL-disc, I would like to know that too
    Use a lower average bitrate.

Code:
    file size = bitrate * running time
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi jagabob.

Thanks for the help.

My TV is a Sony Bravia, about 8 years old. There is no USB input, except for servicing. I can "mirror" from my phone screens, pix, and Youtube, etc.

I also have a Sony Blu-Ray / DVD player (BDP-S3500) that is connected to the TV via HDMI and connected to the internet. This player does have a USB input for video, music, and photos. Manual says it will play Xvid (AVI container?) codec as well as Codec = MPEG 1, 2 4/AVC, VC1, WMV9 Motion MPEG and Format=AVCHD (ver.2) But it says my AVI format is "unsupported," prompting my first question.

I don't know where over space and time this video will go, so I would to use a format that is likely to "survive" and play the most machines and the longest time. I have to assume that at least several of today's formats will to be supported by or converted to some future format.

One more quick question, what do you think think the best "cloud" storage is? The video might have the best chances for survival in the cloud.

Thanks again,

Sgt. Pepper
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Sounds like it only accepts Xvid/Divx/MPG4-ASP or MJPEG in AVI container.
    If you already have something AVC coded in AVI, just remux it into an MP4 container without re-encoding. Use something like "mkv/avi to mp4".

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Devices that play Xvid AVI usually do not play much else in an AVI container. For example, few will play AVC (aka h.264) in an AVI container, even if they support AVC in MP4. And I've never seen one support DV in an AVI container. If you want to use AVC you'll probably need it in MP4 or possibly MKV or M2TS.

I recommend you make a 30 second project with properties similar to the video you want to view. Then save it with several of the available presets and see which ones the BD player plays. Maybe Blu-ray or AppleTV presets?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks to those who responded to my question. It is very helpful.
    I never thought I would need to learn all this format-bitrate-codec-compression stuff.
    To me movie making is shoot pretty pictures, string them together, add some pop/ sparkle, and viola! A MOVIE!

I bumped into this article why researching my question. I think its pretty good...I guess. I hope its OK to post it here. If not, sorry.

https://www.learningsolutionsmag.com/articles/1203/video-compression-secrets-smaller-f...better-quality
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Sgtpeprz View Post
    Thanks to those who responded to my question. It is very helpful.
    I never thought I would need to learn all this format-bitrate-codec-compression stuff.
    To me movie making is shoot pretty pictures, string them together, add some pop/ sparkle, and viola! A MOVIE!

I bumped into this article why researching my question. I think its pretty good...I guess. I hope its OK to post it here. If not, sorry.

https://www.learningsolutionsmag.com/articles/1203/video-compression-secrets-smaller-f...better-quality
    All you need to know is capabilities of your decoder - if decoder is capable to decode some container + audio codec + video codec combination then just follow best possible combination.
    And this article is almost entirely incorrect especially conclusion about wmv... This is even more important as Microsoft i.e. company that created wmv no longer promote this format (consider wmv as abandoned by Microsoft - same as many other technologies from Microsoft).
    If you search for video quality, encoding speed and compatibility use H.264 and conditionally VP9 or H.265 (VP9 and H.265 significantly less market penetration than H.264). Containers widely accepted and supported are mp4 and matroska (mkv, webm), audio codecs mp3, aac and opus.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    The worst issue regarding the support of media formats by specific devices is that most manuals were written by people who seem to know not much more about media formats than the thread starter ... often you can find only a list of video, audio, and container formats mixed together or separated only with some half-wit, not containing any useful details like Profile@Level, so you can at most assume that common limits of Blu-ray or DVB will probably apply due to using the same chipsets as other known consumer devices.
    Quote Quote  
  9. my dad has a dvd player that supports AVI but doesn't play certain AVI discs the problem was it only played XVID AVI and not DIVX AVI even though they are both AVI check to see what codec your using xvid/divx then encode to the the other?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    my dad has a dvd player that supports AVI but doesn't play certain AVI discs the problem was it only played XVID AVI and not DIVX AVI even though they are both AVI check to see what codec your using xvid/divx then encode to the the other?
    Or just try to find program that change FourCC of the file. Just try if this helps, no need sometimes to next re encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Yeah, compare flags and b frame packing between working and non-working files and if necessary change them using MPEG4 Modifier.
    Quote Quote