VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a Panasonic DVD-R but it will not accept PAL signal and I need time base correction for some of these PAL tapes.
    Last edited by Cherbette; 15th Sep 2019 at 16:52. Reason: update
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    MUCH more info needed.
    VCR make/model?
    Panasonic model number?
    S-Video, SCART, RCA/Cinch connections for signal from VCR?
    A TBC will not help with mismatched(PAL/NTSC) equipment.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Cherbette View Post
    I have a Panasonic DVD-R but it will not accept PAL signal and I need time base correction for some of these PAL tapes.
    Buy a PAL VCR with a TBC. Expensive, though, plus the shipping from Britain or Germany. I've never heard of a multi-system unit with a TBC built-in. But I could be wrong about that, I suppose.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Assuming you are talking about a setup chain common for digitizing VHS (VCR ->DVD Recorder ->PC Encoding Device), where the dvd recorder is used as an "alternative pass-thru TBC" to repair the signal between vcr and encoder:

There aren't many multi-system DVD recorders easily available in USA, at least not anymore. For certain, you will not find an identical PAL-enabled version of the popular Panasonic ES-10. The closest you might find is one of the region-free PAL/NTSC "Middle East Market" Panasonic DVD/HDD models that were heavily imported to USA by vendors like B&H Photo and 220 Electronics. These went by the model numbers DMR-EH57, EH58, EH59 and DMR-EH67, EH 68, EH69. The first series had smaller HDD capacity than the second. The model changes roughly correspond to age: these were popular between 2008 thru 2012, after which supply dwindled and disappeared.

The "TBC" (more accurately described as frame synchronizer and signal conditioner) in these is about average/standard for premium DVD/HDD units: adequate for typical VHS but not strong enough for the really dismal tapes the unique ES-10 could handle with ease. These region-free Panasonics sold new for $350-$600, used examples today should sell for much less but they aren't easily found on eBay. Importers also offered very similar Pioneer models, which turn up a bit more often, but they can be confusing to shop for as Pioneer used identical model numbers (i.e., DVR-550) for both USA/NTSC and global PAL/NTSC versions.
    Quote Quote  
  5. European Panasonic, and Pioneer/Sony (not the different oldest ones) DVD/HDD recorders work with both PAL and NTSC, but it seems their american counterparts don't do the same.
    Quote Quote  
  6. AGW1 is the vcr model via RCA into diamond vc500 but I need TBC. I'll report back with the dvdr model
    Quote Quote  
  7. Dmr es25
    Quote Quote  
  8. A PAL DVD-R until will be fine too. I should be able to still use it for TBC pass through (or even direct to DVD) with the VC500. I'll just need a plug adapter since I live in the US
    Quote Quote  
  9. I purchased a Panasonic DMR ES10 from Europe for $50 shipped. Not bad. Also bought an adapter so if everything works, I should be back in business.Image
    [Attachment 50163 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 50164 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  10. For PAL stuff you only need to change the plug. That's all that was needed for my two PAL VCRs to work here in the US. But since you already have the power converter...

Yes, that was a very good price for the ES10.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    For PAL stuff you only need to change the plug. That's all that was needed for my two PAL VCRs to work here in the US. But since you already have the power converter...

Yes, that was a very good price for the ES10.
    I wasn't sure so I wanted to make sure lol. My luck I would've purchased something inadequate.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I would recommedt having a look at the power supply capacitors when you get it, they are known to go bad and pop/leak on these DVDRs.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by oln View Post
    I would recommedt having a look at the power supply capacitors when you get it, they are known to go bad and pop/leak on these DVDRs.
    Can they be easily replaced? Something I could do myself?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes but requires that you know how to solder and take apart the device without damaging it.
    Quote Quote  
  15. solder not so much. Where would one take such a device to be examined/repaired in 2019? lol
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    University or community college with an Electrical Engineering or related program might have students or technicians. Maybe a hacker space? There are also repair cafes but they might not have an electronics person.
    There were some video/dslr camera repair places in major cities in the United States but they might not have vcr experience anymore.
    Quote Quote