VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, can anyone recommend a known 32bit linux distro that will work to access the internet? I have a Dell D620 laptop that runs on the 32 bit system. I have Linux mint 13 installed on the D620 HDD, works great but I only use it offline and for secure storage. I require a linux operating system for this machine for secure... ish browsing only. Many thanks
    Health IS the first Wealth------So do not strain your eyes!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi davenet , thanks for the link. A little concerned about this download. Reading some of the reviews. Check out the user reviews https://mxlinux.org/wiki/system/iso-download-mirrors/ I have never downloaded a Linux ISO before, always used USA seller or ebay. I will give this one a bit more thought before downloading it, but very welcome for the pointing in the right direction. Many thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    davenet, got the ISO from Sourceforge, very easy, not checked the md5 "checksums", will let you know how I get on with this distro. Cheers, thanks for the link.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Better safe than sorry, however - those download links on the page I mentioned already point to Sourceforge.

You can look at this page for detailed info about all popular releases
    https://distrowatch.com/

MX LInux #1 in popularity right now
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by visionman View Post
    davenet, got the ISO from Sourceforge, very easy, not checked the md5 "checksums", will let you know how I get on with this distro. Cheers, thanks for the link.
    be advised that most 32bit Linux distros either have or will be dropping support soon. such as 32bit Ubuntu
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Originally Posted by visionman View Post
    be advised that most 32bit Linux distros either have or will be dropping support soon. such as 32bit Ubuntu
    That's quite true. It's just a matter of time.

A bigger issue may be how much RAM that box has. Nowadays browsers and many web pages are enormous memory hogs.

I use MX 21 but for an old 32 bit machine Antix would probably be better. MX and Antix are related distros and MX is really meant more for newer machines. Most Linux distros (and desktop environments) are nowadays. Antix is more suitable for old hardware with not that much RAM.

BTW MX may be #1 on distrowatch but that's just based on the # of hits on their site and is utterly meaningless. MX 21 KDE is fabulous but distrowatch had nothing to do with me wanting to try it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. May be too late but I suggest you look at Antix.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Debian still has 32bit support
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could maybe use one of these:
    https://puppylinux-woof-ce.github.io/

or
    http://www.tinycorelinux.net/