VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Do the cards in a crossfire setup have to be identical?

I currently have a Sapphire Radeon 3870HD Atomic 512Mb, and I want to add a second card.
    Although the Atomic is quite expensive, £179.99 GBP, probably because of the steel case it comes in, and the bundle of discs, cables and even a cold cathode!!

Anyway, I can get a Sapphire 3870HD Toxic 512Mb for around £100 GBP, which is only clocked slightly slower than the Atomic edition, 825 core, 1200 mem for the Atomic versus 800 core and 1150 mem for the Toxic.
    And the toxic has the same single slot vapour chamber cooler as my Atomic card, so they should fit side by side, but will they work together?

I remember reading somewhere that crossfire cards only have to be the same 'family', not the same card.
    So, does anyone know if it'll work, and will the slower card affect my faster one?

BTW, my MB has the ATI 790FX chipset.

Thanks.
    We'll be right back after these messages from Binford!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't see why you can't... You use Crossfire on that board, I would suggest you hit up Xtreme Systems forum or Overclock.net
    Project Digital: Eliminate All Physical Media is finally underway!
    Quote Quote  
  3. SFAIK they only have to match, not be identical. However, both the clock speed and memory capacity of the slower card will be used for both.
    Quote Quote  
  4. WHy not just underclock the faster card to match the slower one, if necessary?
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote