VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My NLE MOvie Edit Pro 2014 has a rich set of easily accessible fades (for those few occasions when anything other than the 'standards' are appropriate). But so far I've not found one exactly like this:
    http://youtu.be/TZLYQ9tjxTg

Of course, it's not difficult to achieve with KFA in the Rotation dialog. (Although I had to save two effects, one for each object.) But a one-click fade choice would obviously be more convenient. I'm curious to know if any of the other popular NLEs have this in their fades repertoire please?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Your (and/or their) nomenclature is screwy: that is NOT a fade effect. It's just a 3D rotation on the (vert) Y-axis, with an edit at the Zero-point in the rotation.
    Because it isn't a fade (which by definition is a drop in level to black, white or a color, or a rise from), or a dissolve (by definition, a simultaneous drop in the outgoing image(s) and a rise in the incoming one(s)), it shouldn't ever be grouped as such, and that's why you won't see it listed in any standard pro NLE that way.

All of them can do it. Some might need to use layers or grouping or nesting to get it done, but it's quite possible. Why not readily available? Because it is a "canned" effect that with overuse comes off as cheesy or amateurish. A fade or dissolve is going to get used DAILY for (nearly) EVERY project, just like an edit will.

This all has to do with what the effect's visual attribute's connotation is, psychologically...
    An edit is just a quick switch in one's attention or perspective.
    A fade connotes blinking or resting, also suggesting the passage of time.
    A dissolve, in combining 2 fades (also known as a cross-fade), further suggests the passage of time (or place).
    All 3 of those are very "passive" or nearly-subliminal transitions.
    Effects, such as wipes, pushes, 3D curls, etc. (and including your rotation) have a novelty about them, and an "action" to them that raises their existence far above the level of subliminal acceptance. Which is why you cannot (and should not?) maintain the "novelty" of them beyond small, rare bursts.

What do you think your 3D effect connotes, psychologically? (besides spinning records or "magic trick")
    A problem I see: how does this dovetail into the rest of the production? - Do all of the shots remain in the center as if a record cover being presented? Does the effect continue on indefinitely & immediately? (because it gives the impression that it should)

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Read 'fade' as 'transition' in my post if that helps. Or what you've called a 'dissolve'. MEP uses both 'fade' and 'transition' as synonymous terms. Magix is a German developer, so MEP documentation and UI include various translation ambiguities. But that's a side issue.

As I said, there are many (hundreds) of these transitions in MEP. Some come very close to the one under discussion. Theoretically, it doesn't seem impossible that this relatively simple transition (far less intrusive than many curling, spinning, zooming, tiling, folding transitions, etc) could be implemented in some NLEs in an easy fashion, just like applying a 'proper' transition.

As I said, I've implemented this via rotation KFA in MEP.

Did you see that I prefaced my query with a point about rarity of usage?

It's not relevant to my question, but for your info the current project that prompted it is called 'UK Number 1 Hits'.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What you seek is a simple horizontal rotation transition. Many NLEs will have it, even free ones like Aviutl.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes you can do it in any almost any editor, but I don't think any will have it as a "stock" 1-click transition because it's not commonly used as a "transition" . I think that's what he's asking about - the prevalence of this as a stock transition in other software
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What that is called is a card animation in 2.5D space. The track itself is rotated sort of like a camera move in a regular 3D NLE.

Movie Edit Pro is not commonly used by any of the advanced users here, so it's hard to advise you.
    Last edited by budwzr; 10th Dec 2014 at 20:46.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Aviutl has it as one of the standard transitions. It's called "Rotation (H)"
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rotation2.gif
Views:	298
Size:	283.1 KB
ID:	29045  

Last edited by racer-x; 10th Dec 2014 at 21:30.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So that's "Canned" in AviUtil? Or you can do it from scratch?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's just one of the many cheesy transitions to choose from...............
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rotation.png
Views:	202
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	29046  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Why not readily available? Because it is a "canned" effect that with overuse comes off as cheesy or amateurish.
    Yeah, I never do anything that even loosely looks like one of those neophyte canned bling FX. Nothing screams douche like that stuff.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    Vegas has that stuff too, even the Pro version. Glad we all agree that stuff is cheezy, hahaha.

Nothing worse than watching an intro into something that initially looked interesting, then seeing that kind of cheezeball deal pop out of the woodwork.
    Last edited by budwzr; 10th Dec 2014 at 22:02.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Effects, such as wipes, pushes, 3D curls, etc. (and including your rotation) have a novelty about them, and an "action" to them that raises their existence far above the level of subliminal acceptance. Which is why you cannot (and should not?) maintain the "novelty" of them beyond small, rare bursts.
    And at least have the decency to mix it up with a custom variation that has some panache. Hehehe.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    Thanks, that's what I'd expected. I bet there are others too.

BTW, it looks somewhat less 'cheesy' when the objects are say the respective A and B sides of a hit record, or two competing chart entries, etc.

--
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!