VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been having a perplexing issue with my recording software that appeared a couple of days ago. Videos that I've recorded on consoles that use an HDMI cable have stuttering/lagging images while "glitching" at the same time. I used the Hauppauge device with a Gamecube, which uses a composite input, to see if the problem would appear on those as well, but those videos turn out fine. The image that appears on my TV aren't affected, either. To add to this problem, all unedited HDMI videos that I recorded using the device suffer from this issue.

I've tried to search for a possible solution to this problem, but no one else seems to have had these issues. I'm at my wits end for what to do next. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'll attach a video that shows my problem shortly.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by thenefftw View Post
    I've been having a perplexing issue with my recording software that appeared a couple of days ago. Videos that I've recorded on consoles that use an HDMI cable have stuttering/lagging images while "glitching" at the same time. I used the Hauppauge device with a Gamecube, which uses a composite input, to see if the problem would appear on those as well, but those videos turn out fine. The image that appears on my TV aren't affected, either. To add to this problem, all unedited HDMI videos that I recorded using the device suffer from this issue.

I've tried to search for a possible solution to this problem, but no one else seems to have had these issues. I'm at my wits end for what to do next. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'll attach a video that shows my problem shortly.
    You haven't provided a lot of details about the set-up that you used which produced the problem capture files. Which console(s) did you try to record from using HDMI? What resolution and frame rate is the video output from the console(s)? What capture software are you using: Hauppauge Capture, WinTV, Arcsoft ShowBiz, or something else? By chance, are you using MP4 files for output?
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The first place I would start is by replacing the HDMI cable.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I've been having a perplexing issue with my recording software that appeared a couple of days ago. Videos that I've recorded on consoles that use an HDMI cable have stuttering/lagging images while "glitching" at the same time. I used the Hauppauge device with a Gamecube, which uses a composite input, to see if the problem would appear on those as well, but those videos turn out fine. The image that appears on my TV aren't affected, either. To add to this problem, all unedited HDMI videos that I recorded using the device suffer from this issue.

You haven't provided a lot of details about the set-up that you used which produced the problem capture files. Which console(s) did you try to record from using HDMI? What resolution and frame rate is the video output from the console(s)? What capture software are you using: Hauppauge Capture, WinTV, Arcsoft ShowBiz, or something else? By chance, are you using MP4 files for output?
    I've tested it out using both an Xbox 360 and a PS4, both showing the problem. Resolution and frame rate are set as source as I found no reason to change them beforehand. I used Hauppauge Capture for recording and use Arcsoft Showbiz for editing and I believe the file output is still set as .ts. I had never come across this problem before. I had even used videos from that same recording session, and those didn't show any issues until a couple of days ago. Now, however, they seem to stutter, even videos recorded a month before have been affected. The only videos that haven't changed are the ones using the composite input.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    The first place I would start is by replacing the HDMI cable.
    I'll be sure to try that first thing in the morning.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    even videos recorded a month before have been affected.

that sounds like a playback problem in your computer. you can test videos out of it?

also hauppauge hardware sometimes its tricky maybe unplugging or install in a fresh system drivers
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've tested it out using both an Xbox 360 and a PS4, both showing the problem. Resolution and frame rate are set as source as I found no reason to change them beforehand. I used Hauppauge Capture for recording and use Arcsoft Showbiz for editing and I believe the file output is still set as .ts. I had never come across this problem before. I had even used videos from that same recording session, and those didn't show any issues until a couple of days ago. Now, however, they seem to stutter, even videos recorded a month before have been affected. The only videos that haven't changed are the ones using the composite input.
    The fact that older videos which played without any noticeable problems now stutter when played back also leads me to think that the problem is not caused by the files themselves, but is instead caused by something used to play them or display them. What software are you using to play the files? Have you tried multiple players with the same results?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm still uncertain what exactly was the issue, but it seems that uninstalling then reinstalling the drivers and software fixed the problem. My guess is that something happened to Hauppauge, which then messed up my videos. Still a little hesitant to call it fixed as I don't know what messed it up in the first place, but for now, all seems well.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm still uncertain what exactly was the issue, but it seems that uninstalling then reinstalling the drivers and software fixed the problem. My guess is that something happened to Hauppauge, which then messed up my videos. Still a little hesitant to call it fixed as I don't know what messed it up in the first place, but for now, all seems well.
    Every model in the Hauppauge HD-PVR and HD-PVR 2 product lines should be power cycled every few days. To power-cycle your HD-PVR 2, unplug the USB connection from your PC, unplug from the wall, and wait 10-15 seconds, then plug in the USB connection your PC again and plug into the wall outlet. ( I used an HD-PVR Colossus at one time, which still needed to be power cycled even though it is an internal card. To do that I had to unplug the PC for a while, plug it back in, and reboot.)

Power cycling helps to prevent problems in the capture files themselves, but won't help with playback problems not caused by defects in the capture files.
    Quote Quote