VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have been using a device (VIDEO2DIGITAL) for quite some time now and it's worked very well. I just recently had a need again (I got handed a couple of tapes with a plea for help) and dragged it out again. It did not fail. I made a short video of my experience. Please take a look it might help. https://youtu.be/LSoHQ2jIJRU
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I watched your video. Is it storing the files as DVD-spec mpeg-2?
    Can you post a small sample ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for watching and asking. I'll make a sample and notify you when it drops. As for the format, ClearClick saves it as a .avi file to the SD card. Then I toss it into VLC (macOS is my platform of choice) to view and convert. I go to .m4v with embedded 192k AAC audio. You might if you have a Google Drive account be able to use cloud convert from .avi to whatever, then walk away and get a coffee and download when converted. Clear click packs a copy of NCH Prism, but I have experienced issues with Prism and the latest version wants you to subscribe to the software service, which I won't do. VLC works like a champ.
    Stay tuned.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    AVI is just a container. Does the box deinterlace, upscale and put 4:3 into a widescreen frame?

If you used a Digital 8 camcorder, you would get your video as DV. Digital 8 camcorders are not hard to come by, depending on stated condition and the phase of the Moon you can get one on eBay for between $50 and $150. The funky looking camcorder that you borrowed would be a more interesting topic than yet another capture box, but then the viewer would not have a reason to follow the affiliate link.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Clickbait?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    You asked for a sample? Here's what I was able to come up with; https://youtu.be/-CVumH4t8Nc
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theshootinguy View Post
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    You asked for a sample? Here's what I was able to come up with; https://youtu.be/-CVumH4t8Nc
    Youtube is unfortunately of no use. Please post a sample direct from the device.

Clip out a small section and upload it here directly using the upload files/manage attachments button
    Quote Quote  
  8. from a stranded 20-year-old videotape sucked right off the ViewCam then uploaded directly to here.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by theshootinguy View Post
    from a stranded 20-year-old videotape sucked right off the ViewCam then uploaded directly to here.
    It could be worse. 30p instead of 60p, which means losing temporal resolution and some spatial resolution as well, see stairstepping on diagonals and occasional ghosting, which the deinterlacer joined two fields together. The highlights are blown out, so either the box converts into "computer" levels, or the camcorder was too optimistic regarding levels, I suppose the first one. Mono PCM at 705.6 Kbps would not be my choice for the audio, OTOH I suppose it is just a half of a normal stereo PCM. Sure, old camcorders were mono. But I would not waste bandwidth for inferior audio.

Quote Quote