VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Running a Core2Duo machine, dual 2.33mhz processors. Just reinstalled Windows XP Pro, things seemed to be going fine. DId some processing with Virtualdub, went without a hitch. Then today I was doing some processing with Virtuadub and seemed to have plenty of processor power left so I was attempting to convert something using Super.

The system crashed. Sometimes it would boot, sometimes it wouldn't. Firefox stopped working.

So I've reinstalled Windows again.

Any sense whether running those two apps simultaneously could have somehow been at the heart of the problem?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I use VDub weekly and Super every other month maybe.....with no problems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I use VDub weekly and Super every other month maybe.....with no problems.
    What I'm wondering if running them simultaneously could have caused an issue.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm, looks like the problem could well be the BitDefender 2010 antivirus that I installed. Seems like people have chronic problems with it similar to what I experienced.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Not likely VD or SUPER. Even if they tried to use the same codec, probably would still work, worst case the second program wouldn't start processing. I think you had something else happening and it was just a coincidence that the two programs were running.

I would check your system temperatures as that might be a possibility, though a shutdown from that should only be temporary. I would also see what other programs you have installed, though with a fresh install of XP, probably not a lot.

Or you may have a malware problem. Other possibilities are a failing power supply, or a failing hard drive. Windows should have gave you a reason for the crash, especially if you got a blue screen before the crash. If it just shut off, more likely a hardware problem of some sort.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Probably CPU overheating or PSU failing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by brassplyer View Post
    What I'm wondering if running them simultaneously could have caused an issue.
    I have a pretty old system and I sometimes have several media apps running at once, sometimes displaying the same file -- worst that happens is that the system grinds to a halt, and I have to use Process Explorer to kill one or more of them. But no lasting damage done.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Probably CPU overheating or PSU failing.
    While the antivirus seems to be a strong suspect due to feedback I see about it - Bitdefender 2010 seems to be plagued with problems, as another possibility I wonder if I may have just overwhelmed the PSU. It's an Antec Earthwatt 380 Watt. Had 2 Sata and 2 IDE h/d's running on a Core2 Duo machine, and the usual stuff - optical drive, video card, sound card, pusher and puller case fans. Wonder if that 380 watt is enough PSU for this machine.

I also re-seated the CPU heatsink/fan with a fresh application of Arctic Silver compound after thorough cleaning of the contact surfaces.
    Quote Quote  
  9. 380 watts is probably enough unless you have a power hungry graphics card. And assuming the PSU is up to spec.
    Quote Quote