VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to find a portable (battery supplied power) monitor that can play video images from my DV camcorder. I've done search but not found any. Anyone know of a portable DVD player that can handle this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the response! but it says "minijack .125-inch composite-video" on the video input which to me, means the same kind of plug as the headphones for my ipod. the RCA input from my DV camcorder has the yellow plug which is considerably larger and won't fit in a minijack.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    OP:

Not sure if you're still following this thread, but all the portable dvd players I've seen use this kind of jack because the case is so small. Think about how much case real estate would be used up by having three RCA jacks on it. Instead, you go to Radio Shack and buy a harness with three RCA jacks at one end and a single 1/8th inch jack at the other. The jack may look like a stereo 1/8th in. jack on your earbuds, but look closer and you'll see TWO black rings instead of just one found on stereo headphone jacks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Still following the thread. So what you're saying is, there is a converter for my RCA to the .125 size at the other end (portable DVD player input)?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I couldn't find small and cheap monitor once, and I wasn't willing to pay $100+ for a small portable lcd tv, so I bought a $39.99 karaoke set at Walmart (on sale, regular was $80 or so IIRC) when I needed 3''-4'' portable screen with standard RCA input ("yellow") for one of the projects I was working on.
    The monitor in this karaoke set was a add-on to clip onto a microphone, but the clip is is easy to remove (1 screw only) and voila! you get excellent tiny portable screen (but no speakers mind you, and I had to find separate power supply in my junk bins because it was originally powered by the karaoke machine).
    Always check out electronic gadgets, many toys have the same components yet are much cheaper than the standalone devices itself

edit: time flies, it was already more than year ago, so probably you can get a tiny LCD TV with "vcr/dvd input" nowadays for less than that I think.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Most portable players with output use a 1/8th inch (2.5mm) jack and a cable like this:

http://www.sfcable.com/cable/p/255-217.html
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This model from Wal-Mart Canada does (seen it in store):

http://www.venturer.com/products.aspx?view=271

Perhaps others from their line up do as well but I'm not sure if you can get Venturer outside of Canada.

Day Dreamin' about John Waters...again.

The Naked Gord Program
    http://nakedgord.blogspot.com
    Humour, Politics, Gadgets.
    Quote Quote