VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    This has probably been covered ad-finitum so apologies in advance. Have also 'Googled' without finding a solution.

Was doing a bit of 'Spring Cleaning' and came across an Enhanced CD (from 2002) (it said so on the cover) with a QT video on it. Also checked some other more recent (2010 or earlier) CDs which I well recall playing the video.

Trouble is nothing will show the video content - some of these IIRC also had the QT installer - so nothing plays the video. Only the audio.

I guess one could use something like IsoBuster (the trial does not show it either) to rip the video but I do wonder if there exists some 'magic' player that can see the 'hidden' stuff.

Now I do still have a WinXP system. IIRC certainly the later ones played then. But would rather run it direct on Win7 Home - I do understand that the more advanced versions have a 'XP mode' and it might work then.

Any thoughts or will I just hit a proverbial brick wall ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try using imgburn to rip to your hdd and see if you can find a mov file.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My version of imgburn is quite old but......

It did see both sessions that are on the disk. Only trouble it then creates bin/cue files.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use WinBin2Iso to convert bin/cue to iso so i can extract with winrar.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your assistance is appreciated.

Did as suggested but the prepared iso was significantly smaller than the bin and WinRAR reported it corrupt.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Could be that the bin/cue had 2 tracks and WinBin2Iso only extracted one track,not sure how to extract both tracks.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just found an addon for 7zip that lets you extract files from a bin/cue,Iso7z.It will let you choose the track you want to extract.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    This has probably been covered ad-finitum so apologies in advance. Have also 'Googled' without finding a solution.

Was doing a bit of 'Spring Cleaning' and came across an Enhanced CD (from 2002) (it said so on the cover) with a QT video on it. Also checked some other more recent (2010 or earlier) CDs which I well recall playing the video.

Trouble is nothing will show the video content - some of these IIRC also had the QT installer - so nothing plays the video. Only the audio.

I guess one could use something like IsoBuster (the trial does not show it either) to rip the video but I do wonder if there exists some 'magic' player that can see the 'hidden' stuff.

Now I do still have a WinXP system. IIRC certainly the later ones played then. But would rather run it direct on Win7 Home - I do understand that the more advanced versions have a 'XP mode' and it might work then.

Any thoughts or will I just hit a proverbial brick wall ?
    is this what you are referring to ?? - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD%2BG
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Those were the earlier type of video cd's back in the 80's,enhanced cd's use a newer video(Mov),it says right on the page you linked.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Just found an addon for 7zip that lets you extract files from a bin/cue,Iso7z.It will let you choose the track you want to extract.
    Can you direct me to this add on ?. Worth a try.

BTW imgburn found two sessions on the CD. Session one has the two audio tracks on this CD. Session two appears to be one file which is probably the video.

But methinks the disparity in the size between the bin and the iso is that the iso has only read the first session or it tried to read the 2nd one and then corrupted the iso
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. I found the add on.

Worked a treat.

Much as grassy ass
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Those were the earlier type of video cd's back in the 80's,enhanced cd's use a newer video(Mov),it says right on the page you linked.
    just remembered do i have another CD ( final fantasy: the spirits within ) soundtrack
    it too is an enhanced CD it's got movie files quick time 4 player ect
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm guessing I probably know more about EnhancedCD specs than anybody else left on this site, so I'll give my $0.02.

The BlueBook EnhancedCD spec (which is the 3rd or 4th iteration of some kind of A+V or A+D spec - others are CDi, CDi-ready/pregap, CD+/CD-Extra, and even VideoCD/AVCD) is a multi-session format (such as you experienced), with 1 or more Audio tracks on Session 1 (so it'll play properly in ALL audioCD players), and a Mode1 (or more likely Mode2Form1) single Data track, that uses ISO9660 (which may or may not have additional filesystems available, such as Joliet, HFS, UDF, etc).

The CONTENT of the Data track is totally up to the publisher/content provider (barring a few REQUIRED files/folders/sectors*). There is no single standard on how to present what is there. I have seen QT *.MOV, Windows *.AVI, *.MPG, realplayer files, Macromedia Director/Shockwave/Flash files.

*The required sectors were meant for "Enhanced CD" settop players, which NEVER got off the ground. Those elements included a Lg/Med/Sm jacketpicture thumbnail set, and a "player app/playlist" similar to used on CDi or VideoCD or PhotoCD. At one point, I had software from a german encoding/authoring company (Astarte) for Mac that allowed creation of those thumbnail elements, and that could then be piped into Toast (Adaptec, now Roxio's) to create a complete E-CD. As far as I could tell, those thumbnail files are equivalent to DVD jacket picture (aka MPEG Still) files. No company ever went beyond this stage of authoring, so after that, it was left up to the publisher on how to utilize the data track, since it could be any application or filetype that the common PC or Mac supported at the time.

As far as ripping it, you should use ISOBuster to properly get the multi-session data, particularly if the Data track has an HFS segment to it. If using QT .MOV, it could be anything from QT v3.0-v7.5, with possible plugins. Set the wayback machine to 2 decades ago...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Although the CD has a QT logo, the actual video content was mpeg1. Things were much simpler (to a degree) player-wise back in the day.

I will fire up my XP partition later just to see, out of curiousity, if it plays 'out of the box' i.e. direct from Windows Explorer.

Seems a shame that later OS's removed the ability to read these legacy formats. Hence my original question whether anyone knew of a player that could do it without a multi-step process. I recall that older versions of Nero could chose which session to open. Not sure if that also applied to pressed disks.

As for the actual video, the cover was much more explicit
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I am now confused. I did fire up my XP partition and both Media Player Classic - Home Cinema 1.6.3 and Windows Media Player showed the video and played it.

I now reboot back to Win7 and fire up Media Player and the file is also there. So there is absolutely no reason to rip it.

It can also be seen in Windows Explorer. Yet I would swear that when I looked earlier it was not. Checked the process with a later CD that also has mixed content and that can also be seen.

Yet this is the exact opposite of where I was when I started the thread. Then I could just see the audio tracks or rather the 1k link(s)

This also flies in the comments made on various sites where users have had similar issues. The only change to my system was installing and running that 7z add on. Could that have been the key I was looking for to open the lock ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Possibly, and if you try this on another computer, you may have the same issue again. Hence my suggestion of ISOBuster, as it has full support of all aspects of multi-session and is not dependent on anything else, so you would be assured of getting something usable(?) out of it.

Scott
    Quote Quote