VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I prefer my srt sub's maximum line length to be 35 characters. With lines longer than 70, editors I've used can create a single line break but not more. I mainly use Subtitle Edit and sometimes Subtitle Workshop and have a checked a couple of others like Aegisub and they can't do it.

Anyone know of a program with a higher limit of the top of their head so I don't have to check them all one by one? Splitting lines isn't an option.

Thanks

EDIT: AHD Subtitles Maker does it but poorly because it doesn't balance line lengths so not looking for that sorta thing.
    Last edited by JeremyBrown; 29th Dec 2018 at 17:01.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by JeremyBrown View Post
    I prefer my srt sub's maximum line length to be 35 characters. With lines longer than 70, editors I've used can create a single line break but not more. I mainly use Subtitle Edit and sometimes Subtitle Workshop and have a checked a couple of others like Aegisub and they can't do it.

Anyone know of a program with a higher limit of the top of their head so I don't have to check them all one by one? Splitting lines isn't an option.

Thanks
    Subtitle edit have feature to break long lines automatically
    Quote Quote  
  3. Are you trying to be funny or something?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by JeremyBrown View Post
    Are you trying to be funny or something?
    No I'm serious i have tried aegisub and subtitle edit both are awesome softwares and both are have feature that you need.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Is that supposed to be even funnier? Really, I'm not getting the joke.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by JeremyBrown View Post
    Is that supposed to be even funnier? Really, I'm not getting the joke.
    Okay carry on. I don't want to help peoples like you...
    Quote Quote  
  7. How exactly are you helping by telling me to use programs I said I used already? Please explain. I don't know. Perhaps you're handicapped and are serious?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by JeremyBrown View Post
    How exactly are you helping by telling me to use programs I said I used already? Please explain. I don't know. Perhaps you're handicapped and are serious?
    I know how to do that

That you need to break all long lines automatically

So meet me on telegram for better help @iamsrk48
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by imsrk48 View Post
    That you need to break all long lines automatically
    Yes, but for some reason he wants to break long lines into three lines, not two. Can the programs you mentioned do that?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    I haven't seen a subtitling app that automatically breaks across three lines, probably because professional standards recommend against it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Yes, I read that about standards not recommending this when I started to look into it but most streaming services seem to ignore it. I just reads easier for me. As long as there aren't a lot of closeups of faces, which would look bad to me, I prefer it and have started to manually do a few like that.
    Quote Quote  
  12. In Subtitle Edit go to Options/Settings and on the first tab you can change the maximum number of lines from 2 to 3. You may also want to change the maximum line length to match your preferences as well.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I already stated that I use Subtitle Edit so I already know all that. Doesn't help the situation because as I already said, it can only create a single line break.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If your media player accepts .ass or .ssa format subs then you could specify the location on the screen of the lines if you used either formats instead of srt. https://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/subtitles/ssa.html
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  15. Did you get confused and mean that for another thread?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    You know, your attitude strikes me as just a bit tart for someone who's asking for free help.
    Last edited by JVRaines; 29th Dec 2018 at 20:06.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some people enjoy being unhappy with life and unappreciative of free help when offered. I'm out of this thread I'm sure the OP will never be satisfied nor willing to experiment. Very sad case.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  18. OP No such program exists that does your task automatically?
    Worst case scenario is

1. Open you file in subtitle edit/ subtitle workshop
    2. Do the split line after character 35
    3. Sort the subtitles by line length
    3. save the file as SSA
    4. get a text editor (use notepad++) it's free.. Enable the line ruler5. Go to the lengthier lines (that may be simpler since these will be fewer)
    6. insert\N where appropriate. (\N is the line break in SSA)
    7. Open subtitle edit/ subtitle workshop
    3. Sort the subtitles by time
    8. Save file in srt

Now Go get to work
    Last edited by teodz1984; 31st Dec 2018 at 05:43.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In Subtitle Workshop

Step 1: Settings --> General --> Advanced --> and setup Smart Line, Devide lines, Maximum line length to 35; also check Smart line adjust automatically;

Step 2: Edit --> Texts --> Set maximum line length...

And that's it.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Closed captions for the hearing impaired (NTSC, ATSC) only support a line length of 32 characters. I can suggest using Subtitle Edit to convert your subtitle to a closed caption format (Sonic Scenarist *.scc comes to mind) and then convert the closed caption file to your preferred subtitle format. Quick-and-dirty, no messing with settings or anything.
    Quote Quote