VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Like many before I have had problems with VCD's on WIN2000 Professional with SP2. Media player, PowerDVD and Nero burning software are no good. However what I have found from microsoft support is this:

Cannot Use Windows Media Player to Read XA Data on 1394 CD-ROM Devices

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q322804

It's odd that some Win2000 installations can play VCD's and other's can't. There are different versions of Win2000 (ie professional, server, adv server and datacenter) could it be something to do with this?

I hope someone sorts this out soon!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Firewire CD-ROM?

"You may not be able to use Microsoft Windows Media Player on Windows 2000 to play VCD (.dat) files over a bridged 1394 device."

I had run into the same playing/copying issue with VCD I burned myself. Any other VCD I tried worked fine. I was able to play/copy the .dat in Media Player, no problem.

I played around with Nero and TMPGEnc settings and I finally made VCDs that would behave properly. The problem seems to lie in the video format itself. Certain types of .mpg files from TMPGEnc would produce VCDs that just would not work in Windows. And since I've been trying to make VCDs as close to 2.0 standard as I can the problems have all gone away.

Just an observation.
    Take it easy. And if its easy take it twice.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hey, i have the same trouble HEre. The idea about Nero, maybe its a good solution. I will try with Easy CD Creator... Cannot find an older NEro Version for try it. My VCD don'T play well in a DVD (freeze) and cannot play in my CD-rOm or copy the DAt file. So, the idea that Nero have a problem, Not bad.... i use the latest 5.5.9.9

I have the exact error message than you people....
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hey everyone, I don't know if this helps but it could be your version of nero. I was using v. 5.5.7.2 of Nero in Win2k and everything was working great. I recently upgraded to v5.5.9.14 and I started having problems viewing the vcd dat files on my pc as well as getting an error when trying to copy the dat file to my hd. The vcds that I did make with v5.5.9.14 worked great on my standalone dvd player but not on my NT4 and W2K systems.

I decided to uninstall v5.5.9.14 and go back to 5.5.7.2. I can now view vcds on my pc again. A wierd note though... all vcds (even ones created prior to my upgrade to 5.5.9.14) that were created in 5.5.7.2 and 5.5.9.14 could not be viewed on my W2K machine that had nero v5.5.9.14 installed. Any vcds created with nero v5.5.9.14 couldn't be viewed or accessed on ANY NT4 or W2K Machines(at home and work, 'I tried about 8 machines'). After reverting back to 5.5.7.2 I can now create vcds that can be viewed and accessed on W2K and NT4 machines. I am still unable to access and view those created on 5.5.9.14.

I hope my rambling was helpful.
    Quote Quote  
  5. With Nero 5.5.9.14 under the ISO tab disable (uncheck) Joliet and re-burn. This should allow you to play the VCD's.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks athomas. I will try this out. Is Joliet unchecked by default in the older versions of nero?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I do not know this is my first version of Nero.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Salvation! I'm so glad I found this thread! I've been posting the exact same problems elsewhere and everyone thinks I am a nut-case.

athomas - I tried your suggestion with 5.5.9.14 and it worked, first try! Thanks all.

cfitz
    Quote Quote  
  9. Glad it worked.
    Quote Quote  
  10. By the way, here are the default versions of the Joliet setting in recent versions of Nero:

5.5.5.1 - disabled
    5.5.8.2 - disabled
    5.5.9.0 - disabled
    5.5.9.9 - enabled and broken
    5.5.9.14 - enabled and broken

Nero tech support seemed to have no idea that this problem was occurring. I pointed them to this thread - hopefully they will read it.

cfitz
    Quote Quote  
  11. Maybe Nero did listen. The newly released 5.5.9.17 version of Nero no longer defaults to enabling Joliet when burning VCDs. In fact, not only is Joliet disabled, but they have grayed out the check-box so you can't accidentally select it.

cfitz
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hi all,

I'am experieng the same problem for quite some time, until I found this thread yesterday. But when I came home and looked into my NERO menu, I found that "Joliet"-Option was disabled (I have been using Nero 5.5.9.0 up to yesterday), and I can't remember that I disabled it by myself. So far so good. Only to mention that at home my Dell Optiplex GX150 with Intel 815e and Pentium III 750Mhz with 384 MB Ram WinXP SP1 does not give any problems reproducing any kind of CD-R's. But when I try to open some of the CD-R with my DELL Latitude CPxJ (750 Mhz and 256 MB RAM Win2000), it is impossible. Some will, some won't, but especially SVCD's will not work never. I tried copying them to the harddisk, what gives an error (Invalid MS-DOS function). Or try to poen with PowerDVD, that gives "Incorrect Parameter 80070057". The funny thing is that this happens to my colleague as well, who has got the same Laptop (Dell Latitude), but running with Win98.

So do you have any idea on what else could be the problem?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Some additional Info: I already updated the ASPI -drivers and the codecs, so this is not the problem. I suspect the CD-Rom or the Motherboard to be responsible for this, anyone agrees?
    Quote Quote  
  14. i also had this problem on 1 of my w2kHDD [ i have 2 that i swap in and out of same box both have same s/w installed and same ver] i can play all vcds on 1 and not the other go figure so seems to me a reinstall of w2k would do the trick,also i have nero 5599 installed and have no problem on the hdd that plays vcds , by the way i have w2k sp2 installed
    Quote Quote  
  15. On monday they installed W2k SP3 in our machines, but this didn't solve the problem neither. When I try to access the file AVSEQ01.MPG from an Explorer Window this window crashes and won't be able to acces until I get off the disc of the drive. By the way, the drive is a Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-C2402 with firmware 1015 (region code free).
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I also have been unable to playback VCD formatted disks on Win2K computers (my own and several at work) that play just fine under Win 98 (my old computer and others) or on a DVD player (mine and others).

I've installed SP3 and ungraded to Nero 5.5.9.17, which makes no difference.

Does anyone have any other ideas about what to try?
    Quote Quote  
  17. I can't believe it was that simple. All it took was unchecking joliet and now they play like they should

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unchecking Joliet works for some...but not all of us. It did not work for me.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    just bought a TDK 4800b 48x16x32 speed CDR-W the other day and I upgraded to Nero 5.5.9.14 and was running into this same problem when I burned SVCD's and tried to access them within win2k PRO, I'd get an error message and wasn't even able to copy the MPG or DAT file to my drive from the SVCD disc.

At first I was thinking it was the media I was using so I went out and got some TDK discs, but that wasn't the problem. Tried installing new mpg2 codec, new ASPI drivers, Zoom Player, PowerDVD, ect...and it still didn't work.

So finally I ran across this board and saw someone mention to uncheck joliet...and of course the Joliet option was checked under Nero (slapped myself in the head) and unchecked it (crossed my fingers) and reburned.

Now I can play the SVCDS on the computer within WMP or Zoom Player, or PowerDVD, but...

One weird thing though is that when I FIRST try to Play the MPG files in Zoom Player or WMP it takes awhile for it to load and I hear the drive chugging away which then sometimes results in an error message saying...

'Cannot find the file I:\MPEG2\AVSEQ01.MPG (or one of its components). Make Sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are availiable."

but then after that message and about 15 seconds later after I just click OK, the movie loads fine and plays perfect?!?!

Whats also weird is I can EJECT the disc and put it back in and it loads up immediately with no error message, but if I put another SVCD in, then it goes threw the above again with an error message.

Anyone have an idea on what might be causing this or if there is a fix?

I guess I should just be happy I can play the damn things.

Anyway heres my system specs.

AMD 1.33
    ABIT KT7A Motherboard
    WIN2K PRO SP2
    TDK 4800b 48x16x32 Velo CD Burner PCI
    Latest Via 4-1 Drivers
    Latest ASPI drivers 4.6 I believe
    Using Main Concept CODEC for MPG2 I believe for viewing
    Zoom Player with Main Concept Codec C (plays everything so far I feed it)
    Windows Media Player 6.4.... (didn't install latest version 7, don't like how it looks)
    Quote Quote  

20. After installing WinDVD 4 I finally got my SVCD's working on Win2k!!!!!!

I don't know why but PowerDVD still keeps saying "Incorrect Parameter 80070057". And no other program still won't play any SVCD! (and I tried some of them, as IONVCD, and others).

Dark Mirage, did you try this one out?

Get a trial at www.intervideo.com.

BR/ Heiko
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, I haven't tried this one, but I will.

Thanks for the tip!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been having a similar problem trying to copy .dat files from cd to my had drive. I thought it was these cheap disks that I was using for the first time but after reading all of the posts here I firmly believe the problem is the joilet issue. It seems that bhe filing parameters of nero 5.9 is causing the problem. I never had this problem before and I just backed up a ton of info onto cds in data format and now I can't access them.

I'm also running w2k.
    Quote Quote  
  23. As others have posted, you can use WMP 7 and Win2K to play the DAT files off a VCD. Yes indeedy you can, I'm doing it right now. In fact, I'm even playing it from a Firewire (IEEE 1394) drive! So, you can do it, no need to debate that anymore.

I wish I could remember all the things I tried to accomplish it, though. I think the clincher was getting my ASPI straightened out. Specifically, run the aspichk.exe program at the link below, or look to see if you have a file called WNASPI32.DLL in WinNT\System32 - if so, you may want to right click, Properties, Version to see what you have. I have Adaptec 4.71.10 and that works for me. Nero's brand of ASPI has its uses - installing that in my Exact Audio Copy folder was the key to getting EAC to work with my Firewire drive - but it's more typically installed in the same folder as a specific program that uses it.

ASPI FAQ Link - Bart's ASPI Page
    http://www.nu2.nu/aspi/

You can play the video files off an SVCD in a similar fashion using videolan, www.videolan.org

In both cases, you more or less use the file menu, play a file, navigate to the (S)VCD, look for the MPEGAV folder, make sure you're showing all files - the video files have DAT extensions. The reason you need 2 different players is that they are actually encoded using different standards - VCDs have MPEG1 video, SVCDs have MPEG2 video. There are many free MPEG1 video players, but not many free MPEG2 video players.

There is a IOSUBSYS folder in Win2K, but it's in WinNT\System32, which is where much of your OS is located in Win2K. But I don't have that VXD file. Though this info may be useful:

SCSI1HLP.VXD
    The file SCSI1HLP.VXD can be found in the Windows\System\IOSUBSYS directory and causes problems on many systems.

The driver inspects I/O enquiries which concern the CD-ROM drives and compares these with the enquiries which the CD-ROM addressed can understand and if necessary modifies the command (on this, there is a list of drive models or drive vendors in the SCSI1HLP.VXD file). In some cases SCSI1HLP.VXD enforces the SCSI 1 protocol.

SCSI1HLP.VXD is an additional help to the ATAPI drives. This file is needed in particular to be able the play Video CDs from IDE devices. We do not know whether this applies to all IDE devices.

The file SCSI1HLP.VXD often causes problems if the EasyCD / DirectCD driver CDR4VSD.VXD is in the Windows\System\IOSUBSYS directory. The problems appear as of EasyCD Version 3.01b. CDR4VSD.VXD Versions of this version do not cause these problems.

On most systems it is possible to remove the SCSI1HLP.VXD file or to deactivate it by renaming the file extension to .VX_.

In some cases Windows 95/98 reinstalls this driver if it assumes that the driver is necessary. Often it is assumes that Nero installs this driver. This is incorrect.

From http://www.nero.com/en/content/helptool/137.htm#o370
    I think it unlikely that it has anything to do with how it was burned, as you are just playing a video file, not playing the VCD.

BTW, what a mess this thread is. So many people who don't know what they're talking about, and don't bother to read the thread.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Wow after spending many hours of searching and finding nothing. I finally find this thread!

I have w2k (at work) The problem is exactly as posted here. Can't play VCDs and can't copy dat files to hard drive. Here is a twister though. The first CD of the movie I am able to play. The second doesn't. Tried with 4 different movies so far. I don't have a burner at work. The movies all play fine at XPpro at home and on the standalone DVD. I installed the ASPI layers again and again. Tried the regedit fix for XP and that didn't work. I am absolutely boggled by this. I know it can't be the Joliet thing for me becaus I can play the 1st VCD but not the 2nd. I setup a virtual CD drive as suggested somewhere else I can't remember and that has the same problems. I tried these programs:

WMP various versions
    POWER DVD 4
    Global DIVX player (because it plays VCDs too)
    Zoom player

All with the same results even from the virtual CD drive.

Power DVD tells me that the disc may be dirty, now how can it be dirty if it is a disc image on the hard drive???

WMP says invalid function whenever I try to play it

Global DivX seems to hang for a few seconds then just shows me the player and says nothing is loaded.

I am unable to download ISO Buster at work so I will have to burn that this weekend and give it a try next week.

As for the Nero joliet thing I burned all the discs with different versions of Nero and they all work on XPpro but not on w2k. But the thing that really gets me is that only the 1st Disc works but not the second (or third). I downloaded the latest service packs and nothing new.

I will try some more things suggested like the one above about the right version of ASPI winaspi32.dll I have one but maybe the wrong one. Hopefully this will help anyone else trying to solve this very puzzling dilema for so many of us.

Anthony
    Quote Quote