VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Does anyone know why the version of Avidemux I am using isn't remuxing the outputted file at 25fps when it should be?. When I import a MTS file at 25fps, after I have trimmed the parts I want out and saved a "copy" only file in MP4, I am getting a framerate of 31fps for some reason. When I then import the file into an editing programme like Premiere the audio is out of sync. Checking the original MTS file it reads as 25fps, but all I get in the remux is 31fps. Anyone know what's going on here?. I'm guessing the audio sync issue is down to the different framerate. Could be that the TV recorder I recorded the programme from is the issue, maybe during the broadcast there was a signal issue.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Any DVB-S or DVB-T recording should be checked/fixed with TS Doctor (or a similar specific dvb transport stream analyzer) prior to any processing, to detect/fix dvb recording and other errors.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    Any DVB-S or DVB-T recording should be checked/fixed with TS Doctor (or a similar specific dvb transport stream analyzer) prior to any processing, to detect/fix dvb recording and other errors.
    Why should the framerate be messed up though and why does Avidemux remuxed at a different framerate?. I even encoded the file in Handbrake to 25fps to see if that corrected the audio sync error, but it didn't. Playing the files on their own through VLC it seems fine, only when import the file into Adobe Premiere I noticed the audio gradually goes out of sync.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by techmot View Post
    Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    Why should the framerate be messed up though and why does Avidemux remuxed at a different framerate?. I even encoded the file in Handbrake to 25fps to see if that corrected the audio sync error, but it didn't. Playing the files on their own through VLC it seems fine, only when import the file into Adobe Premiere I noticed the audio gradually goes out of sync.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    Is there anything other than TS doctor that can correct the error? the trial version has expired.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try remuxing to MKV in Mkvtoolnix Gui, it often seems to help in these situations
    Quote Quote  
  7. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Is there anything other than TS doctor that can correct the error? the trial version has expired.
    TSreader, much more expensive, does not fix, just analysis

VideoRedo in some cases, not free
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    TSreader, much more expensive, does not fix, just analysis

VideoRedo in some cases, not free
    I am recording a TV series on one of the UK freeview channels, been doing for about a month now, and I think all of the files seem to output at a different framerate in Avidemux than their original 25fps file. I have saved them as MKVs as well, so i decided to remux them using OBS Studio, but this time I am getting a framerate of 22fps rather than 31fps if I remuxed in Avdemux using the "MP4" option. I don't get it. The remuxed files done in OBS produce stuttering for some reason. I know Premiere will import the MTS files, but some of the recordings I have been doing (for some reason) my TV recorder records up to about 40 mins and thencreates a separate MTS.1 file, which is unreadable to video editing programmes (but they can be encoded using Handbrake), but it will still produce the audio sync issue. There was no breakup of the picture when the programme was being broadcast that would've caused the framerate to change, so I don't know what is causing this. As I said, the original MTS files are at 25pfs. I ahve also recorded the programme in parts during ad breaks in 30 min parts so that the recording doesn'tr create the strange unreadable MTS1 file, but they still produce the different framerate.
    Last edited by techmot; 22nd Mar 2023 at 05:51.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Upload the recorded file somewhere so we can have a look
    Quote Quote  
  10. MTS files can contain segments of different frame rates, frame sizes, etc. AviDemux may be flagging an average frame rate of all the segments.

The solution to your multi-file audio sync problem may be simple: concatenate all the segments first.

Code:
    Copy/b input.mts+input.mts.1+input.mts.2... output.mts
    output.mts may import into your editor without problems.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    MTS files can contain segments of different frame rates, frame sizes, etc. AviDemux may be flagging an average frame rate of all the segments.

The solution to your multi-file audio sync problem may be simple: concatenate all the segments first.

Code:
    Copy/b input.mts+input.mts.1+input.mts.2... output.mts
    output.mts may import into your editor without problems.
    Here's a trimmed sample of the file cut in Lossless Cut. Hope it is of some help in determining what the cause of the problem is:
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by techmot; 22nd Mar 2023 at 10:50.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    Upload the recorded file somewhere so we can have a look
    Will try and upload a file
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by techmot View Post
    Here's a trimmed sample of the file cut in Lossless Cut. Hope it is of some help in determining what the cause of the problem is:
    That clip is all 25 fps interlaced video. Timestamps are all at 40 ms (1/25 second) intervals, as expected. Are there ads, station promos, or some other clips interspersed with the main show? That is what's likely to have different frame rates/sizes.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, the cutted file is ok, but at the beginning has some strange pattern. When you change container with AviDemux to MPEG2-PS (i use 2.7.1 64 bits) the first segment is cut and the output is fine. Is it this what you are experimenting?

BTW, TS DOctor does not report errors, so if there was any problem at the source for the first segment, it can be at broadcast side (and then invisible after) or in your manipulations to create that file.

Try to upload the untouched recording, may is easier to understand the problem you are facing
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    Yes, the cutted file is ok, but at the beginning has some strange pattern. When you change container with AviDemux to MPEG2-PS (i use 2.7.1 64 bits) the first segment is cut and the output is fine. Is it this what you are experimenting?

BTW, TS DOctor does not report errors, so if there was any problem at the source for the first segment, it can be at broadcast side (and then invisible after) or in your manipulations to create that file.

Try to upload the untouched recording, may is easier to understand the problem you are facing
    I'm not sure to be honest. Like I said, when I play the file in VLC player it plays fine, but when I import the file (either as an MTS or has a remuxed MP4 file) I get audio out of sync, and it is out of sync quite abit. There are ads and trailers in the MTS during the recording, so maybe something there is causing this. I tried one of the other recorded files (not the same one as the attached video) in VSDC video editor. In VSDC the audio wasn't out of sync and there was no video or audio lagging/stuttering that I noticed. Maybe Adobe Premiere can't recognise the file. I will try and upload the full recording.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    That clip is all 25 fps interlaced video. Timestamps are all at 40 ms (1/25 second) intervals, as expected. Are there ads, station promos, or some other clips interspersed with the main show? That is what's likely to have different frame rates/sizes.
    Yes there are ads in the recording during the programme. When I've used the recordings in Avidemux I have been editing the ads out. I have kept most of the original MTS files for just in case I need to go back to them. I know that when the episode starts the broadcast signal switches from anamorphic wide to fullscreen (full screen being the original aspect of the programme), and then goes back again to wide during the ad breaks. Maybe this is what's caused the framerate to change, unlikely I would think.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've just run that MTS through AVIDemux 2.8.1 (Video Copy, Audio Copy, Muxer MP4) and it came out as 25fps. I had to force 16-9 in the Muxer Config.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I've just run that MTS through AVIDemux 2.8.1 (Video Copy, Audio Copy, Muxer MP4) and it came out as 25fps. I had to force 16-9 in the Muxer Config.
    I tried that, but it still doesn't fix the audio sync issue when I import the files into Adobe Premiere. In VSDC editor there is no sync issue, so it seems like Premiere has a problem with the file for some reason. Again, the remuxed file in Avidemux is still reading 30fps and not 25fps. Premiere is reading the file at 25fps, but the checking the file properties in details it's saying it's 30fps. Very strange. I've importing both MTS and MP4 files from my camcorder and still camera in Premiere loads of times and never had the audio be out of sync like it's doing. Why VSDC has no issue with the files I don't know.

Also I've noticed at the start of the file in the preview screen in Premiere, it is reading at an odd time like 18:46:00 instead of being at 00:00, so something is messed up with up there. Maybe the recorder I recorded the programme on (or maybe the pendrive that it was recorded onto) is the problem.
    Last edited by techmot; 23rd Mar 2023 at 09:55.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I trimmed the file to a few seconds in Lossless Cut just to see if the audio was still out of sync, imported the MTS clip into Premiere, and for some reason this time the audio was perfectly fine. Also, checking the trimmed file in properties it says it's 25fps. So why when I remux the file in Avidemux does it say it is 30fps (sometimes it's 31fps or 29fps)?. Must be something wrong with the version of Avidemux I have. I know I have experienced audio sync issues lots of times with MP4s, often the audio is fine to begin with it but gets more and more out of sync as the file is playing especially when played through an external HDD via the TV. Playing the file in VLC player is OK.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Try remuxing with ffmpeg instead:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.mts -c copy ffmpeg.remux.mp4
    If you prefer a mov file change the output spec to .mov instead of .mp4.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Try remuxing with ffmpeg instead:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.mts -c copy ffmpeg.remux.mp4
    If you prefer a mov file change the output spec to .mov instead of .mp4.
    Avidemux won't remux the file to mov, says unsupported file. Haven't tried ffmpeg as I don't know how to do that.
    I don't think this will solve the sync problem, seems to me it's either the recording that's at fault (maybe the pendrive I used to record it to it faulty or hasn't been formatted properly, or maybe it's the TV broadcast or the PVR machine.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I tried remuxing to a ts in Avidemux and noticed that the outputted framerate was 25fps, but Adobe Premiere would not recognise the file, just nothing appeared in the project window. I then tried remuxing to avi and noticed the framerate was 50fps, but this time in Premiere playing the file the audio wasn't out of sync. Every other extension I've tried remuxing when imported into Premiere the audio is massively out of sync. Anyone know what is causing this?. I can't get my head around ffmpeg so haven't tried that, but I don't think it will make any difference. Can't figure out what's going on here, whether it's the fault of the recording/broadcast output, the recording machine, pendrive or the file.

I noticed when you import the mp4 file that is out of sync in Premiere, when it is loading the file, the blue progress bar at the bottom right flutters up and down as it's progressing before fully loading, normally the bar would just move along slowly, so something is wrong with the file when remuxed as an mp4, and even the original MTS file does this, but as an avi it doesn't.
    Last edited by techmot; 27th Mar 2023 at 04:36.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Only VideoReDo can remux to 25 fps mkv without problems. I don't know why but this was always the case with these files from UK Freeview (BBC, ITV, etc). So it's not your recorder, pendrive. It's the broadcast file itself. Maybe something with timestamps, who knows?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by techmot View Post
    Does anyone know why the version of Avidemux I am using isn't remuxing the outputted file at 25fps when it should be?. When I import a MTS file at 25fps, after I have trimmed the parts I want out and saved a "copy" only file in MP4, I am getting a framerate of 31fps for some reason. When I then import the file into an editing programme like Premiere the audio is out of sync. Checking the original MTS file it reads as 25fps, but all I get in the remux is 31fps. Anyone know what's going on here?. I'm guessing the audio sync issue is down to the different framerate. Could be that the TV recorder I recorded the programme from is the issue, maybe during the broadcast there was a signal issue.
    Upload the problematic mts file (the whole one, not a part) somewhere and post the link here.
    Then we can tell you where the problem is.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    Don't be so anal about who's posting what, man. I've seen your post but I added what I know about these problematic Freeview broadcasts because I have experience with that. Now, if you can explain in a really technical way why is this happening with ffmpeg based apps and mkvtoolnix, than please, do so. It will be appreciated. Posts like "already suggested" help no one here.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Did not want to be anal, it was just to specify OP preferences. Take it easy, man
    Quote Quote