VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I want to author blu-rays of "First Wave" Seasons 2 and 3 with some old avis I have stored on HDD for many years. i have 2 versions of each season (both progressive). One is 29.97 fps (Canadian channel) and the other is 25 fps (UK). Both are 640x480 (4:3).

Normally I would just convert the 25 fps to 23.976 fps. However, I noticed that the 25 fps videos were the same length as the 29.97 videos (~44 minutes each). I then watched a couple of each and couldn't really hear a difference (pitch or tempo). Then I timed the opening theme sequence and they were about the same.

I want to use the 25 fps version as it has better video (and they are also complete compared to some of the 29.97 episodes). I have multiple players, so I have no problem playing blu-rays with 50Hz content. However, a couple of my friends just have Sony players and they don't play 50 HZ content (North America).

Does anyone know how this is possible (for the 25 fps version to be the same as the 29.97 version)?

I did try and convert the 25 fps videos to 23.976 but it behaved as expected. The speech had lower pitch and was slower (and increased the runtime to about 46 minutes,which was obviously longer than the original runtime of the show).

If anyone has any ideas about how to get the 25 fps videos to 23.976 (or 29.97) so I can author a blu-ray that can be played in a Sony blu-ray player (without Cade Foster sounding like he has been caught in the gravitational pull of a black hole), I would be foerever grateful.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Any decent scripted series is 24 or 23.98, I don't think 29.97 is native. It could have been converted to 25p without speedup (or with 0.08% speedup) using 2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:3 pulldown.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    frame rate can be adjusted by various means beyond speed up or slow down.
    Dups can be inserted, frameblending and interpolation - leaving the running time unchanged.
    For best results you should figure out what yours is
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Farscape1 View Post
    .....any ideas about how to get the 25 fps videos to 23.976 (or 29.97) so I can author a blu-ray that can be played in a Sony blu-ray player (without Cade Foster sounding like he has been caught in the gravitational pull of a black hole), .....
    If the absolute runtime doesn't matter (it shouldn't I think), you could slowdown video and audio from 25fps to 23.976 fps and apply pitch correction to the audio. You would have to decide whether you accept the quality of the pitch corrected sound.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You should just try dropping the frame rate from 25 to 23.976 without slowing it down. It was likely converted using frame blending or interpolation. It's just 1 new frame that's being inserted and it doesn't require changing the running time.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Either frames were inserted or pulldown flags were used. The later is preferred as it's essentially 25p with soft pulldown added.
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
  7. I've seen a few videos that I would have assumed were native 29.97fps if I hadn't known they were from the BBC and therefore must have started out at 25fps. Aside from the methods mentioned above used for frame rate conversion, there's dedicated hardware often used these days to convert frame rates, and from what I've seen they can do a pretty good job.

An example I found via google. https://www.for-a.com/products/mcc4ka/
    Quote Quote