VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello I have an Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti running on windows 10 and as I understand it, my video card can do hardware acceleration. I downloaded the newest version of FFmpeg, and the latest video card drivers. I have been testing FFmpeg batch AV converter and I am using hevc_nvenc to convert to h265. The program has an drop down option for hardware acceleration. I don't know if I am supposed to put the hardware acceleration into the parameters or use the drop down menu. I know that when I tried using the drop down menu, it converted the file just the same as previously, it definitely wasn't any faster. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong. Also, I was looking up Nvidia hardware acceleration and it was saying I needed some additional software like the cuda toolbox etc. Can someone tell me what I actually need to get this to work and how I can tell if it's actually working? Any help is appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi Pandy, thanks for responding. I have seen all of those links and this is what confuses me. From the first link you posted, it says to compile FFmpeg for windows but from what I understand is that downloading the new version of ffmpeg from this link https://www.gyan.dev/ffmpeg/builds/#about-these-builds, it's already compiled for windows with hardware acceleration support? Per that link it says "hardware-support libraries in all builds: amf cuda cuvid d3d11va dxva2 libvpl nvdec nvenc" so would I still need to compile my own or should the copy I downloaded already work? I read on some forum/message board that I shouldn't need to compile my own. I've also been testing with command line ffmpeg and when using hardware acceleration settings, the conversion actually takes longer then if I leave that option out. I just tested with FFmpeg batch AV converter as well and I didn't think it changed the conversion time originally but I was mistaken, it actually takes longer with hardware acceleration enabled then if I put none. I don't think it's supposed to go slower with hardware acceleration enabled should it?
    Quote Quote  
  3. You may check Rigaya github where He provide recommendations on dependencies (requirements) to use his NVEnc software (ffmpeg requirements should be similar). Seem only graphic driver is required to use NVEnc (and as such ffmpeg).
    You can also use NVEnc instead ffmpeg.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by tacomaguy20 View Post
    I don't think it's supposed to go slower with hardware acceleration enabled should it?
    It depends on what presets you used for the two encoders.

And that generation Nvidia cards had no b-frame support for h.265 so they delivered pretty poor quality compared to software encoding with x265.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tacomaguy20 View Post
    Hi Pandy, thanks for responding. I have seen all of those links and this is what confuses me. From the first link you posted, it says to compile FFmpeg for windows but from what I understand is that downloading the new version of ffmpeg from this link https://www.gyan.dev/ffmpeg/builds/#about-these-builds, it's already compiled for windows with hardware acceleration support? Per that link it says "hardware-support libraries in all builds: amf cuda cuvid d3d11va dxva2 libvpl nvdec nvenc" so would I still need to compile my own or should the copy I downloaded already work? I read on some forum/message board that I shouldn't need to compile my own. I've also been testing with command line ffmpeg and when using hardware acceleration settings, the conversion actually takes longer then if I leave that option out. I just tested with FFmpeg batch AV converter as well and I didn't think it changed the conversion time originally but I was mistaken, it actually takes longer with hardware acceleration enabled then if I put none. I don't think it's supposed to go slower with hardware acceleration enabled should it?
    see this here - https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/HWAccelIntro
    and - https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44510765/gpu-accelerated-video-processing-with-ffmpeg
    Quote Quote