VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hey all, new member here. I did not see a concise answer to this question, but I did see some references that were sort of related. Looking for a no-kidding answer if it exists.

I have several movies that I have purchased from the Windows Store (formerly XBox Video store). If I download them they are in MP4 format, but I cannot play them in any player other than the build in Video app. I tried to add to various converters and DRM removal software (e.g., Aimersoft), but I get failures.

Can the DRM on these files be removed so I can play my purchased content elsewhere? If so, how?

Thanks all!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the quick answer is NO..on the DRM removal

imo the best you can do is a screen capture recording of the file while it is playing

that may OR may not work depending on your PC, and the software used

the whole idea behind DRM is to limit you to that device and prevent copying of the video
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the reply! That is what I figured. Seems like there are lots of tools to remove DRM on iTunes movies, but none that work on Microsoft Store movies.

Can you recommend a good screen/window capture software that I can trial?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kwicktech View Post
    Thanks for the reply! That is what I figured. Seems like there are lots of tools to remove DRM on iTunes movies, but none that work on Microsoft Store movies.

Can you recommend a good screen/window capture software that I can trial?
    I have come to like Open Broadcaster Software, which is free to use and comes with x264 and support for some hardware encoders too.

It allow you to customize your x264 settings, and even put in custom x264 commands if you don't like the presets. If you have ever captured video with Virtualdub, it works similar but is designed for people who stream themselves playing video games. But it can also caputure any window you have open, like a web browser, media player, or a full screen capture. I like it and you can use the highest preset your computer can handle (like ultrafast <-> slower). Probably want to use any of the ones labeled fast, but I don't know what kind of CPU you have.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hello, it's been a few years since this post, so I wonder if there still no way to convert windows store movies, please ?
    Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hello again, I've found streamfab but dont seems to works for Microsoft movies.
    Nobody have a solution ?
    Quote Quote