VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hey there,

back then it was possible to just directly move an interlaced mpeg2 file into a ffmpeg cmd for deinterlacing.

and it just came out fine as fully deinterlaced progressive video.
    However in some of the rescent versions they changed that and now and doesnt deinterlace at all and just comes out as interlaced. mpc shows:

Scan type : Interlaced
    Original scan type : Progressive
    Scan type, store method : Interleaved fields
    Scan order : Top Field First

back the in the old version simple
    Code:
    "%FFMPEG%" -i %INPUTFILE%  -c:v mpeg2video -qscale:v 6 -vf "bwdif=mode=0:parity=0,fps=25000/1000" -aspect 4/3 -f MOV %1%.mov"
    would be recognised as

Input #0, mpeg, from '...........':
    Duration: 01:22:36.48, start: 0.170567, bitrate: 14521 kb/s
    Stream #0:0[0x1e0]: Video: mpeg2video (Main), yuv420p(tv, bt470bg, top first), 720x576 [SAR 16:15 DAR 4:3], 25 fps, 25 tbr, 90k tbn

and output

Output #0, mov, to '...............':
    Metadata:
    encoder : Lavf59.27.100
    Stream #0:0: Video: mpeg2video (Main) (m2v1 / 0x3176326D), yuv420p(tv, bt470bg, progressive), 720x576 [SAR 16:15 DAR 4:3], q=2-31, 200 kb/s, 25 fps, 12800 tbn

but with rescent updates theese days it's

Output #0, mov, to '..................':
    Metadata:
    encoder : Lavf59.27.100
    Stream #0:0: Video: mpeg2video (Main) (m2v1 / 0x3176326D), yuv420p(tv, bt470bg, top coded first (swapped)), 720x576 [SAR 16:15 DAR 4:3], q=2-31, 200 kb/s, 25 fps, 12800 tbn

I tried using -top , -field_order progressive as additional commands but that doesnt help either. The only way the output was recognised right would be to index it with dgindex and letting it run as a AVS script and sometimes even that only works if you use the "proclearall()" command in the end even when using an avs deinterlacer instead of a ffmpeg one.

Maybe someone knows a solution for this. Thanks.
    Last edited by Gwar; 20th Feb 2023 at 04:48.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You're deinterlacing with bwdif. The video is no longer interlaced.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Gwar View Post
    Code:
    "%FFMPEG%" -i %INPUTFILE%  -c:v mpeg2video -qscale:v 6 -vf "bwdif=mode=0:parity=0,fps=25000/1000" -aspect 4/3 -f MOV %1%.mov"
    try this:

Code:
    "%FFMPEG%" -i %INPUTFILE%  -c:v mpeg2video -qscale:v 6 -field_order 1 -vf "bwdif=mode=0:parity=0,fps=25000/1000" -aspect 4/3 -f MOV %1%.mov"
    btw accordingly to Jean-Baptiste Kempf's presentation more and more syntax changes is expected - old commands may not work...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Originally Posted by Gwar View Post
    Code:
    try this:
    Code:
    "%FFMPEG%" -i %INPUTFILE%  -c:v mpeg2video -qscale:v 6 -field_order 1 -vf "bwdif=mode=0:parity=0,fps=25000/1000" -aspect 4/3 -f MOV %1%.mov"
    btw accordingly to Jean-Baptiste Kempf's presentation more and more syntax changes is expected - old commands may not work...
    thanks pandy but it sadly won't work . if ffmpeg keeps on changing for all kinds of weird stuff I should consider switching back to an older version. I'm also getting theese annoying packed size too small errors which never where there in the older versions and I personally dont need all the UHD and what not fancy stuff anyways.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Try
    "%FFMPEG%" -i %INPUTFILE% -c:v mpeg2video -qscale:v 6 -vf bwdif=0:0:0,fps=25000/1000 -aspect 4/3 -f MOV %1%.mov
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Gwar View Post
    thanks pandy but it sadly won't work . if ffmpeg keeps on changing for all kinds of weird stuff I should consider switching back to an older version. I'm also getting theese annoying packed size too small errors which never where there in the older versions and I personally dont need all the UHD and what not fancy stuff anyways.
    bwdif is relatively young filter so probably syntax related to bwdif will stay long enough but there can be some regression - try to add '-report' to both (working/non-working) ffmpeg to check what's going on inside... or try different ffmpeg build - newest as possible.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I downloaded 5.1.2, Windows 64 bit, from here:

https://www.videohelp.com/software/ffmpeg

Using your command line on an interlaced MPEG 2 video resulted in a deinterlaced video, encoded progressive. Exactly as expected.

Maybe there's something wrong with your source? Upload a sample.
    Quote Quote