VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys. Yes I'm a newb so be somewhat nice. I have all my blu rays ripped to MKV and would like to be able to access them on more devices such as my Apple TV and my Xbox ONe. I'm looking for a way to convert them to file types that DO NOT LOSE ANY QUALITY and be playable on both of these systems. It does not have to be one file type as I am willing to convert to two different files types if that's the only way to not lose any quality and be available on both an Xbox and Apple products. Possible? Help appreciated. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    AFAIK both devices support container MP4. Simply try remux one mkv file to mp4 and test it. You can use MP4box, or avidemux (copy audio, copy video and output format set to mp4 or mp4v2. It is fast losless way to do it.
    If your mkv are h264 and aac, there shouldnt be problem.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    Hi,
    AFAIK both devices support container MP4. Simply try remux one mkv file to mp4 and test it. You can use MP4box, or avidemux (copy audio, copy video and output format set to mp4 or mp4v2. It is fast losless way to do it.
    If your mkv are h264 and aac, there shouldnt be problem.

Bernix
    Thanks for the reply. Would these be the correct settings for avidemux?

[Attachment 43284 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes, or you can try if this will not work mp4v2 as output.
    Iam not sure about 3 audio track in mp4 but it should be o.k.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does it work ?

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    Does it work ?

Bernix
    No. Got this error.

[Attachment 43285 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So in avidemux, you can in audio change the audio track convert to aac. It is relatively fast. Select AAC (FDK) and choose desired bitrate.
    From menu on top, select audio tracks and convert them to aac. In configuration. And filter there you can choose stereo 5.1 etc.
    Try post Mediainfo of mkv file. Name of the file is not needed, just part about audio.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    So in avidemux, you can in audio change the audio track convert to aac. It is relatively fast. Select AAC (FDK) and choose desired bitrate.
    From menu on top, select audio tracks and convert them to aac. In configuration. And filter there you can choose stereo 5.1 etc.
    Try post Mediainfo of mkv file. Name of the file is not needed, just part about audio.

Bernix
    I see what you said about the settings but that's going to compress my DTS-HD audio down to 640 bitrate which is not the same correct? Here is the file audio info:

[Attachment 43286 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hm, that is bit a problem... But you would to convert it if you want to play it on your devices. Just try 5.1 aac fdk. Just try it on max bitrate. It is not losseless but it depends on your ears, you have to try it....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MP4 can contain DTS, that warning is from avidemux ?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    MP4 can contain DTS, that warning is from avidemux ?
    Yes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you try MP4v2 ? But I doubt it will be supported by apple TV and XBOX one. I see only way to convert to aac 5.1

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Last edited by october262; 3rd Oct 2017 at 14:57.
    Quote Quote  
  14. You will have to convert audio, anyway. Xbox One media center does not support DTS-MA in MKV containers. AAC max bitrate is best you can have at this time.

Unless things have changed recently...
    Last edited by transporterfan; 4th Oct 2017 at 19:04.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by wshmb View Post
    You just need one poerful video converter and get the TV and conslde best supported video formats, i know the MP4 video is the best option. AAC auido is good.
    This is not helpful.
    Quote Quote