VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have just been asked to begin recording lectures at the university my husband works at. I need to invest in a new wifi-ready camera and have been looking at the Sony FDR-AX33, which has come down significantly in price and seems to have all the features I would need.

HOWEVER I don't know whether I can do what I need to do with that camera--recording 90-min lectures and posting them to the Internet (university online-learning platform).

???

Does anyone have experience with this? I would appreciate help

THANK YOU,
    janet
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think I've just answered my own question (downloaded the user manual--duh...)

The maximum continuous recordable time of a movie is about 13 hours.
    When an AVCHD movie file exceeds 2 GB, the next movie file is created automatically.
    When an MP4 movie file exceeds 4 GB, the next movie file is created automatically.

**Still would love to hear from any of you who use this camera!
    Quote Quote  
  3. I've recorded close to three hours at a time on those cameras. 90 minutes is no problem.

When you load the entire file structure of your card into any decent NLE (Premiere, Avid, Vegas Pro) it will stitch the 2GB files together seamlessly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You must talk to your university IT department about this.
    And that's what they're paid for.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    As someone who has that EXACT job right now, I can say:

what is the best camera you have? do you want to use that cam to record with? what is your budget?
    most of the profs at my university do not want to layout for a whole lot, so are willing to accept a slight reduction in quality by using a webcam and going straight into the computer.

Of those, right off the top I'd suggest a Logitech Brio as a fixed-perspective unit. ~$200USD, but prices vary a good bit up and down.

Then, you can record into OBS, Premiere, Panopto, most any vid app that accepts webcams.

And get a SEPARATE mic (lav or headset), so you can optimize the positioning - a cam is almost never the optimal place for a mic.

You can get good ones, wired & wireless, from Shure, Samson, Sennheiser, etc. and some prettty good headsets from Logitech as well.,
    Including some that are straight to USB, if that's the way you want to go.

Lastly, I would strongly NOT recommend you try to do it all in one long go (you'll get winded, and you probably would want a better take). Do shorter clips - 5-10-20-30 min. and then edit them together and export (at highest quality that your presentation platform will allow).

And lordsmurf was correct - check w your IT/AV dept.

Scott
    Quote Quote