VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is it possible to play 'Avi, Mpeg, Mkv's' from a USB stick - on an external DVD player?
    What is the best external DVD player to buy... so that I can watch films ( AVI, Mpeg, Mkv etc... ) through a USB device, on a regular TV?

I've looked everywhere and info seems limited - for such a regular task, that probably millions of people do daily?

With thanX
    Quote Quote  
  2. What are you outputting it to, as in, what is the display resolution of your TV? Perhaps you are using a projector? If you want HD playback it may be just as relevant to search for a end-of-line bluray player with usb input/multi-type file playback ability. It also depends to an extent how much you value playback fidelity. Always check what type of file formats it will play. DVD players may not play HD material, simply because they are primarily an SD device, so there is not much reason to prefer a DVD player over a Bluray player, not even on price. The main reason for preference is the display you intend to use. Check the sales.
    Check your TV, it may already be able to play these files. Depending on its age it might have a usb built-in.

More information is needed particularly the make/model number of your TV. And why you prefer a DVD player.
    It might be easier to invest in a media player.
    Last edited by transporterfan; 17th Aug 2014 at 12:01.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I was thinking of this : http://goo.gl/AXGChR

It's for someone else, so that I can lend them movies from time to time, using only a USB device.
    They have an old and 'very' standard TV :)

...and thank you for replying!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Good reviews. I have bought similar myself...they are allover ebay too. Lol.
    For playback they are fine. Just make sure you don't include any HD material unless it specifically says it can downscale it.
    If you have any HD material you want to pass on to your friends you may have to do a quick conversion to SD.
    But, it should be fine. For the price they can't be beaten. Longevity might be a problem though.
    HDMI output to 1080P, Composite (AV) - ensure you can connect to the TV via one of these.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you - transporter fan!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!