VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,
    I am having no luck at all here.
    I have been trying to make a backup copy of my legally bought DVD of The Dark Knight.
    Mac The Ripper gave me no love at all, so I ended up using the trial version of RipIt to create a VIDEO_TS folder.
    However, when I dumped it in to Toast 8 to try and burn, it came up with errors saying the file was damaged. It is not, I have checked it all the way through with apple's DVD player and it is perfectly fine. Anyway, so since i also use Toast to compress as well as burn, I had to go looking for a piece of compression software which has led me here and to ffmpegX.
    However when I try and encode, from the original VIDEO_TS folder to a DVD using the DVD mpeg2enc preset, i get the above error message, 'The application lsdvd quit unexpectedly' and then either the encode progress bar says error, or it just sits, with no progress meter just the scrolling white and blue diagonal lines, forever.
    Does anyone know what I have done wrong? I installed following the online instructions and installed all the binaries.
    Please help!
    Thanks in advance
    Beth
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bethro
    When I dumped it in to Toast 8 to try and burn, it came up with errors saying the file was damaged. It is not, I have checked it all the way through with apple's DVD player and it is perfectly fine.
    In an act of extra copy protection, Warner Bros has put deliberate errors on this DVD that causes no problems for playback, but does cause problems for burning and conversion. Many people have reported problems backing up this title, as a quick google search will show.
    Your best bet is to wait for the ripping apps to get updated to accommodate for the specifics of this title.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I figured this, and I did do some research into this.
    Some people reported having success with RipIt and Burn together, but burn will not compress and since the VIDEO_TS file is 6.6GB, it needs to be compressed (unless I figure out how to burn dual layer and buy some dual layer discs). Anyway, some people also had success with Fairmount, so, maybe I will try and rip it again with Fairmount and see if Toast likes the resulting image better.

Thanks for the reply, now I am getting another problem.

MPlayer interrupted by signal 13 in module: flip_page
    - MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.

**ERROR: [mplex] Unable to open file /Users/****/Documents/***Documents/Home/ripped/Processed/DARK_KNIGHT.mpv for reading.
    Quote Quote