VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I have recently purchased an old Canon MV700 camcorder but I am struggling to get the computer to recognise when the camcorder is plugged in therefore not being able to transfer tapes.

I have purchased this (https://www.amazon.co.uk/eightNice-Firewire-Female-Adaptor-Convertor-Black/dp/B077D4WC...gateway&sr=8-1) & (https://www.amazon.co.uk/kenable-Firewire-Cable-DV-OUT-Camcorder-Black/dp/B003OSPT0Q/r...gateway&sr=8-1) to connect the camcorder to the Mac, I am then using LifeFlix but it isn't recognising that there is a camcorder plugged in. Am I doing something stupid? Also what else could I buy to convert Mini DV tapes outside of the camcorder?

Any help is greatly appreciated and if anyone needs more information then please let me know!

Cheers,
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I hope you didn't fry your computer USB port or your camcorder, Those USB to firewire adapters are a scam to trap people with little to no knowledge in this kind of tech stuff. There is no such adapter that converts USB to firewire or vise versa without a proper processing and a circuit board full of micro chips. You need a mac with firewire port or some sort of firewire to a whatever mac uses I believe thunderbolt or something like that.
    It is important to read products reviews before you buy anything you are not familiar with, Almost every review of that product said it doesn't work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OMG that thing is a pure unadulterated scam! From the looks of it it is a straight through connector. But USB (most especially before v3) has little in common with FireWire, electrically and physically. Unbelievable! Why is it still on amazon?
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This vid kinda explains the method now used

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q15QjTTF8_I

Note tho that you are no longer transfering DV video but recording the stream via quicktime (that could be a reason why the mac does not recognise the camera but I guess not)

The adapters are available on Amazon but will set you back almost £30 for both.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow - thanks for you info guys I didn't realise that adapter was a scam, cheers for the heads up.

Have hopefully ordered the correct pieces now so fingers crossed!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The forum exists both to help the person who started the topic and anyone who is looking for similar help in the future.

So you can help by coming back if and when you have solved the issue.
    Quote Quote