VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I compiled my DVD in DVDStyler. I need all videos to be Titles, not chapters. I also need that the user can jump from Titles with Next and Previous buttons when they select "Play all", but this is what this software does not allow. When I export the DVD, I cannot jump from Title1 to Title2, no matter that I set the end link of Titles to "jump to next title". Can it be solved somehow with PGC Edit?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you checked that the 'Play All' button does just that ? . Actually plays the next title after the previous one ends.

Editing a disk with PGC Edit would not solve your issue since the link should already be set within the 'Play All' button.

Next and Previous are reserved for chapters not titles. Although you state you do not want chapters they do not need to be of fixed lengths but you would then create another issue since you could not then directly have single play of the chapter. They are meant to continue with the next one.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Let me not describe now why I do not want chapters but titles only. It is a long story, a special need in my case, but it is neccessary. Will make the experience better so to say. Let us not go into endless debate on whether I need chapters or not.

I do know that when a Title ends, during Play All, the next Title is played, but I cannot use the Next button on the playback controls to jump to the next Title even if Play All mode is selected. In DVD Styler it is not possible. I would like to know if there are some tweaks to do it. I see in the manual you can create something called jump pads, and some commands can alter the function of Next and Previous remote control buttons, but the whole description is so hazy to me that I do not understand a word on how to achieve this.

In DVDStudio pro setting the Next button to jump Titles is easily acieveable by setting an endlink that points to the next Title and allow jumping to next Title function for the Next button in the Title preferences. That way the DVD will contain only Titles and you can go back and forward among them during playback with the Previous and Next remote buttons. It is not by default, but you can set it this way and burn the DVD like that. I would like to achieve the same thing with DVDStyler.

I want to stick to DVD styler because it seems to do a bit more exact job on syncing the audio and video on muxing. DVDStudio pro DVDs seems a bit out of sync, though still acceptable. But in case I can go for the most exact rendering, why not do that?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Just for the case anyone with the same problem would find this thread:

The problem mentioned above can be solved with PGCEdit.

So create the DVD in DVDStyler by selecting "jump to next title" as post command for every title except for the last one. Export the DVD directory. Open the DVD directory with PGCEdit, select the title where you want to change the function of the NEXT button, then click Edit PGC at the bottom of the window. In the window opening go to field: "Next PGCN link" and write there the number of the title where the playback should jump on pressing the NEXT button in case of the selected title. Repeate this for all titles where you need to modify the function of that button. To change the function of the Previous button on a title, write the appropriate title number to the "Previous PGCN link" field on the Edit PGC panel.

This way you can jump titles with the Next control button not only chapters.
    Last edited by Bencuri; 29th Jan 2019 at 18:51.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it works then fine. But it is a fudge.

Any user who selects a single title - not a 'Play All' button from a menu - would typically expect to return to the calling menu after that title ends.

And does that fudge actually work in your desired scenario of 'Play All' ?

I mentioned chapters since it gives you all that functionality without resort to editing. Your reason for not wanting chapters is not relevant. The only side issue, apart from what I already mentioned, is that if you, or anyone else who reads this topic, were to go down the chapter road then you would probably require two copies of the titles on the disk. One joined with chapter markers for each 'title' and the other as single titles selectable from a basic menu.

You may well have a valid reason for this button control but in practice it is only two clicks - one to go to the menu and another to select the title to play.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    It is not the clicks that I need this for. When your DVD consist of chapters, when you start playing the DVD, all the videos will be included in the timeline. When videos are added as titles, only 1 video will appear on the timeline during playback, this way you will be able to jump to specific places on the timeline more accuarately wit the mouse, if you want to return to a point in the title playback to watch a moment many times again and again. It is useful in tutorial DVDs, just like in my case. When all the chapters appear on the timeline, when you want to jump to a specific point on the timeline, you may not click exactly to the point where you want to, due to the fact that the timeline includes 100 minutes of video, not only 20. That's why I need this arrangement.

And yes, this way that I described, the title jumps to the next title automatically when it finishes, but it is not a big deal in my case. It is something that is acceptable in my case.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I have to add a small correction to this though: it is possible to set selected title playback in a way that when the video ends the title menu list shows up again. It is a setting in DVDStyler. You need to select "return to menu" as post command for the title, yet in PGCEdit, you need to specify the next title as Next PGC Link. This way in Play all mode it will jump to the next title if you press the Next button, in Selected mode when you press the Next button, it will jump back to the menu, and also when the video ends by itself anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Timeline ?

What are you using to view this dvd ? A normal player whether on a PC or on a tv just shows the active title.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Sounds like you need to use a better DVD authoring app (DVDArchitect, Encore, etc).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Timeline ?

What are you using to view this dvd ? A normal player whether on a PC or on a tv just shows the active title.
    Pc software player.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Sounds like you need to use a better DVD authoring app (DVDArchitect, Encore, etc).

Scott

True but don't want to start designing the menus again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That's part of the fun.

Bonus: never knew that learning VCD/DVD/BD menus & authoring would come in so handy now I'm designing & programming 100s of enterprise AV systems. It may come around for you, too!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bencuri View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Timeline ?

Pc software player.
    Well I use two 'Pc software players' and neither show a timeline.

So kindly elaborate since timelines are typically for authoring and not for general playback.

More so. Have you tested your solution in a stand-alone player ? If you plan on distributing disks they have to work as envisaged on all normal platforms.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    What I mean by time line is encircled on the attached photo. By the way, my standalone players switches titles with the Prev./Next buttons by default, even without setting it like that in the authoring software. This is only an issue in case of software players.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	timeline.PNG
Views:	116
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	47963  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. Wrong terminology. That is the seek-bar (IIRC)

But I still do not buy in to your statement that a stand-alone will do that automatically FOR ALL disks. Software players are typically designed to perform identical functions to stand-alones. These functions are present either in menu options or a built-in 'remote'. More so titles need not be in the same VTS and there is no way that a player can directly jump across VTS's without some authoring.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    I don't know what causes it, but it does work this way. Maybe the standalone player has some smart features in this regard that improves navigation experience.
    Quote Quote