VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What do you think about xenforo?

https://xenforo.com/community/ . Fast, clean and with responsive design so it works on all platforms. Better file upload and media/resources handler.

I don't like the "new" Vbulletin 5.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Even though I'm a Moderator somewhere else....my technical knowledge of this stuff = almost zero.
    Quote Quote  
  3. What don't you like about it? I'm not too crazy about Xenforo, how about Vanilla:

http://vanillaforums.org/
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Saw this about Vb5: https://www.avforums.com/faq/what-is-this-software-you-are-using.13/

Probably the next question is do you have a representative forum like https://www.avforums.com/forums/
    so we might see what the new VH would look like?

Or a beta forum version you are testing with that we could see?
    Last edited by redwudz; 23rd Mar 2015 at 09:47.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't started testing anything yet.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Lots of major forums still operate from vB3.x. Ain't broke, no need to fix. Many more from vB4.x. Generally, those admins are pleased, and not moving.

The problem with forums is that many try to emulate non-forum features, and the actual forum sucks as a result. The entire "CMS" (blog, social sharing, etc) of vBulletin has totally failed. SimplePress and bbpress have totally failed for trying to turn WordPress (blog engine, site CMS) into something it's not.

Xenforo has always meant well, and their claim to fame is that it's made by vB3.x devs. But it's really just a shadow of what vB3.x was. You have a lot of vB mods here, that may not translate well at all to Xenforo. The new avforums is not user friendly at all.

vB5.x suffers from being a resource hog, as does IP.Board. You really have to have a tricked out server for it: MariaDB, not MySQL; nginx, not Apache; etc. And then you have to deal with all the issues caused from swapping all that out (no htaccess, etc). It really is a PITA. It's one reason we no longer see new forums popping up. The software is not only expensive, but the tech knowledge curve and hosting costs are high. Some software is open-source, but most are a joke (phpBB, MyBB, etc).
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 23rd Mar 2015 at 11:10.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank Discs • Best TBCs • Best VCRs for capture • Restore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I still like vbulletin 3/4 but I really want a responsive design, better form/wysiwyg editor, better file management.

I will not use any complex style like avforums. I will style the new forum like vbulletin.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can create a responsive theme from scratch for vB3/4. But the default theme isn't "responsive ready", given its age. So it's more than just CSS, and requires template edits to add what's needed.

I'm curious what your stats are. For this topic (video), I'm find that 85%+ are still computer based. Video isn't like clothes or Facebook. It's done on computers. So reworking the whole site for only 15% of visitors isn't worth it. For those 15%, a mobile theme is fine. You may want to query the community, to see if the change is needed or wanted.

I need to demo XF again. I've not looked at the backend in a while now. Too busy with health and video topics. The main concern is that XF has sparse mods compared to vB. XF does have a vB3 style.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank Discs • Best TBCs • Best VCRs for capture • Restore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i went and set up a demo forum at xf. looks good to me. although it does appear quite like the last "joke" forum i set up using myBB, even the admin panel is set up like myBB. (or it could be the other way round)
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote