VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Philips DVD8631 (firmware vsn GD30) and I've recently started using double layer discs to back up some of my longer movies. I rip a DVD with DVD Decrypter/file mode, then use TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6 DVD Writing Tool to write the DVD folder to a Verbatim DVD+R DL disc. This DVD+R DL won't play correctly in my standalone player (Samsung P241 - lots of pixels/freezing after the layer change). Additionally, my computer's DVD-ROM (Samsung SD616E) won't read the disc properly: Media Player Classic freezes when attempting to read the disc from this drive, and Nero CDSpeed says the length of the disc is over 30 gigabytes and refuses to do a surface scan.

The disc can still be read perfectly by the DVD8631, so I'm not sure what's causing the problems in my player and DVD-ROM drive. I've never had any troubles with the 8631 before, can someone help me find out what's causing this to happen?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your Phillips drive is a rebadged BENQ 1620. Instead of using TMPGE DVD AUTHOR just use IMGBURN to burn DL media. IMGBURN's creator is the same author as DVD DECRYPTER.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the help, didn't know my drive was repackaged but I'm not surprised. I also did not know about ImgBurn but it seems to be a really nice utility. Burning the folder with ImgBurn seems to have solved my playability issues.

edit...sorry, no, I just put the disc back in the Samsung and DVD Decrypter keeps giving me an I/O error. Media Player Classic will not read later scenes in the movie. Same story, only the layer break is in a different sector I guess.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Glad you got IMGBURN to work for you.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, yeah...see the edit I just made...but I am still impressed with ImgBurn, so I do appreciate you introducing me to it. I used the guide on the ImgBurn support forum, "Burn DVD Video files directly to double layer media."

I guess it's a possibility that the Benq/Philips simply can't write a good DL disc, which is ok. If there is anything else I can try, I can keep the video_ts folder on my hard drive indefinitely, and I have a few more blanks I can experiment with.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you thought of crossflashing your Philips drive to the official Benq 1620 firmwares? It's not hard to do. You'll just need BQFLASHER which can be used with the Benq official firmwares. Also you could use WinDWFlash but you'll need to use only CVT file firmwares. PM me if you're interested and I'll supply you with the necessary flasher and firmwares. By crossflashing the drive you'll be able to use QSUITE 2.1 to enable " SOLID BURN". This tool was developed by Benq. There are other tools in QSUITE 2.1 but the 1620 can only use "SOLID BURN", unlike the 1640 & 1650 it can use all the other features in QSUITE 2.1.

What brand of DUAL LAYER media are you using? VERBATIM DUAL LAYER media is the best to use. All the other media id's/brands are crappy to use for DL burning.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My blanks are Verbatim, media ID MKM-001-00, though I just looked and I only have one blank Verbatim left (the rest are Memorex).

This thread:
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=118375

suggests that my issue may be where the layer break is placed on the disc. So far, either TMPGE or ImgBurn decided where to break the movie, and that position was most likely different from the master copy.

I think I'd like to try Decrypter in ISO mode before xflashing my drive. But it's way too late to do any more experimenting tonight; I'll continue this sometime tomorrow.

Thanks again for all your help budz.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yo budz I have to THANK you for you help big time b/c you got me thinking about flashing my drive. ImgBurn *DID* work for me, my standalone player can read thru the layer break when I let ImgBurn select the position on the disc. I only thought the disc was messed up when I loaded it in my DVD-ROM because it had an outdated firmware. I went to Dell's web site and f/w version F502 for Samsung SD616E has been out for almost two years. All the time I've owned this pc my drive has been F501. And one of the fixes in F502 is "adds read support for recordable double layer DVD+R" D'oh... I can be such a klutz sometimes.

So yeah ImgBurn is awesome and thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your welx and glad you got things figured out!
    Quote Quote