VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have some movies I downloaded from Streaming Sites, when opened with Windows Media Player the video appears small in the middle of the player as if it is a small aspect ratio or quality, same when opened in VLC player, it can be changed to 2.39.1 aspect ratio in the VLC player without looking stretched or pixelated. My question is can it be converted with a program to a larger aspect ratio/quality to play in Windows Media Player/ VLC player at a full screen size with at least a 720p quality without looking stretched or pixelated?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It would be helpful if you open your file in mediainfo, put in in text view, and post the info here
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    The term "quality" has different meanings, depending on the viewing angle... a computer can only measure differences, and any difference is a loss of quality to an "objective quality metric", no matter whether it looks more or less ugly to you, subjectively.

Restoring quality which is already lost in your original material is impossible. But it is possible, to some extent, to make the loss look less annoying. There are indeed video filters which can make a video look less blocky, less edge-ringing, less noisy ... but on the other hand, there are always side effects, a loss of details is quite certain, often resulting in an artificial "plastic" look. A rather subtle filtering is often better than a radical one.

Especially when trying to increase the resolution, your best bet will probably be an upscaler with edge-directed interpolation (EDI); AviSynth offers a few, with NNEDI3 as a quite elaborate example using a neural network. It is mostly used to double or quadruple both the original dimensions first, then scale the intermediate result down to the desired resolution.

Encoding this result will certainly use a multiple of the original file size.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by VideoInfo View Post
    I have some movies I downloaded from Streaming Sites, when opened with Windows Media Player the video appears small in the middle of the player as if it is a small aspect ratio or quality, same when opened in VLC player, it can be changed to 2.39.1 aspect ratio in the VLC player without looking stretched or pixelated. My question is can it be converted with a program to a larger aspect ratio/quality to play in Windows Media Player/ VLC player at a full screen size with at least a 720p quality without looking stretched or pixelated?
    What you have sound like plain video garbage (it doesn't even play at the correct aspect ratio, if you have to keep changing it manually). And Windws Media Player is such an unqualified disaster, why would you use it?

Look, why don't you help us and yourself with the video's actual properties by posting the text from a MediaInfo report? Try the free MediaInfoXP (works with all versions of Windows, no installer required). https://www.videohelp.com/software/MediaInfoXP
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MediaInfo is free and is the defacto standard for providing information on video files. Put it in text mode and just copy and paste results...
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote