VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi Folks
    Rather strange goings on with playing videos on my laptop(DEll)
    Backround- Not sure if it's related but a microsoft update was downloaded a week and a half ago.
    I last played videos a couple of weeks ago.

I have stored quite a lot of DVD ripped movies- VOB, VTS files, on my external hard drive which I connect to my laptop. When I click to "play them in VLC" I only get a black screen 30 second clip which plays over and over. When I click the individual files I get audio only as well. Windows media player didn't fare better.
    Crazier yet is that the MOV, AVI movies on the laptop hard drive play fine but one folder of FLV vids plays fine and another folder of FLVs are audio only.
    When I connect the external hard drive to my desktop all videos play fine.

Ideas? I rely on the external hard drive and laptop to play movies and some quirk within my laptop doesn't allow me to reset by establishing a new recovery point

Thanks for any ideas thrown my way.

Shadecat
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you are referring to the 2004 version May 2020 update for Windows 10, then yeah, I had all sorts of issues after installing it. Video problems, network issues, and more. There is a laundry list of issues that I experienced with that update. Microsoft has even recommended that you don't install it until they get the issues fixed with it. I removed it a day after installing it, and my PC was stable again. I talked to the guys in our IT department and they said that large businesses are reporting that about 25% of their users PCs were trashed after they rolled out the upgrade.

Here is a list of bugs that Microsoft has acknowledged so far: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004

If you decide to go that route and rollback to your previous configuration, Just go to Settings\Update & Security\Recovery and click on the Get Started button under Go Back to the Previous Version of Windows 10. However, you only have 10 days from the date you installed the May 2020 update to rollback. The Get Started button becomes grayed out after that, and you are stuck with the update, until Microsoft fixes all the bugs in it.
    Last edited by Gramps; 27th Jun 2020 at 17:31.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Have you tried the drive in a different PC/laptop? What happens if you copy a file from the ext. hdd to the laptop? Does it play? I'd resist copying a file from the laptop to the ext. hdd until you've checked that it's working OK and isn't corrupted - adding anything to it could corrupt many already existing files on it.

I'd also run a thorough virus/malware check on your system, in case you've picked up something that's either corrupting or encrypting your files. (I'd use Malwarebytes as well as my usual internet security software but others may have other favourites to suggest.)

If your system is clean and the drive works in another PC then go into the Device Manager and uninstall the ext. hdd driver. Unplug the ext. drive and Restart the laptop - that's Restart NOT Shut Down and turn on again. (Restart forces a full shutdown and restart, whereas Shutting Down and turning on again won't necessarily fully unload Windows.) Once the laptop is fully booted then try plugging in the ext. hdd again. It *should* automatically reinstall the drivers it needs.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.
    "Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
    Quote Quote