VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,

I have a dvd, if I rip it does it change anything on the original dvd (files/format/codes/properties...)?

Are there dvd that are unable to be ripped?

I want to rip the dvd to my hard disk because I want to play it from my hard disk. What is the best way to rip it?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. By definition a "rip" is a straight copy of the DVD material. (Many people use the word to mean more than that.)

There is extensive information about this in the HOW TO section at the upper left of this site. Here is the link you want:

https://www.videohelp.com/dvdbackup

Best of luck.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by vstar View Post
    Will ripping dvd change anything to the dvd?
    No. Will photocopying a book change the book?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I did see the "How To" section, it only teaches how to use different programs to copy a dvd, but there are no answers to my 3 questions.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    By definition a "rip" is a straight copy of the DVD material. (Many people use the word to mean more than that.)

There is extensive information about this in the HOW TO section at the upper left of this site. Here is the link you want:

https://www.videohelp.com/dvdbackup

Best of luck.
    I did see the "How To" section, it only teaches how to use different programs to copy a dvd, but there are no answers to my 3 questions.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by vstar View Post
    Are there dvd that are unable to be ripped?
    Yes, for a while. But eventually the ripping tools catch up. In the end, if a DVD player can play it a program can rip it.

Originally Posted by vstar View Post
    I want to rip the dvd to my hard disk because I want to play it from my hard disk. What is the best way to rip it?
    DVD Fab. DVD Decryptor for some discs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by vstar View Post

Thanks
    I save to .iso then use an .iso mounter to watch. Some prefer to make DVD folders. As far as content and quality, it really makes no difference.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post

Thanks
    I save to .iso then use an .iso mounter to watch. Some prefer to make DVD folders. As far as content and quality, it really makes no difference.
    I think I saw some people mention about .iso and some mention about copy to become a MKV file. What are the differences? Are these the 2 major ways that people copy a dvd?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to keep everything must you rip the VIDEO_TS folder or to an iso file. WIth for example dvdfab decrypter or anydvd.

If you are making/ripping to a mkv with Makemkv you are just copying the main movie with the selected video,audio,subtitle tracks. No dvd menus. But it might be enough for you.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just in case you're still unclear on what ripping means, to rip means you'll have no re encoding.

If you want the video files to be smaller, and that's what many/most noobs mean by ripping (though it's actually encoding), the video files won't be as good quality. You can't compress a DVD source that's probably 8Gb or so by a factor of 5 or 10 in size and not expect quality loss.

Plus video encoding is complex, and I've never seen a simple "1 click" encoder/converter that didn't have poor quality results.

Encoding also takes significant time. If you have fair to middling spec hardware it'll probably take more time encoding than it would to watch the video.

With all that, I must admit that just paying some $$$ for external HD storage and just ripping the main movie starts to look good.

BTW for just ripping DVDFab HD Decrypter is what actually does that, and it's free. The rest is trial software, and I was never really happy with the encoder.

Actually I'd probably use dvdfab hd decrypter to rip (dvd decrypter is maybe better for some things but it doesn't always work with newer copy protection). I usually just rip the main feature unless I want the extras too ... software player support for dvd menus isn't great.

Then open the resulting VIDEO_TS folder with makemkv. It does no re encoding so there's no quality loss. It just repackages it into an mkv container. That way you get embedded subs and chapter markers.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Will ripping dvd change anything to the dvd?
    No. Will photocopying a book change the book?
    LOL!!!

First thing I thought when I read the first post.
    But he actually said,
    I have a dvd, if I rip it does it change anything on the original dvd
    Reminds me of this nitwit who argued with me up and down that even if you keep a pressed music CD 100% pristine that a CD players reading laser will eventually wear out or burn the CD wrecking it
    And that was like a year ago!!
    Last edited by Noahtuck; 14th Nov 2013 at 21:17.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm...
    I'm beginning to wonder if vstar might be gamemaniaco in disguise based on these questions.

A moderator (Baldrick?) with access to the site logs might be interested in seeing if the users come from similar IP address ranges.
    Quote Quote