VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Could someone help me with this problem.

I have a movie original aspect ratio at 1440x1080 but was stretched to 1920x1080...i want to know how can used at original Aspect Ratio format with black bars at sides to make a AVCHD disk?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    more info is needed. what format was the original? HDV? blu-ray? mpeg-2? what converted it to 1920x1080 and why do you think that's the wrong size? normal 1440x1080 has non-square pixels and when converted to square pixels it should be 1920x1080.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Is From a BD, The Wizard Of Oz....when I make a AVCHD with multiAVCHD the file still have 1920x1080 but stretched...I know that 1440x1080 need apply black bars at left and right, but I don't know how in this program...re-encoding with ripbot264 don't work too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the black bars should have been hard coded into the 1440x1080, because 1440 16x9 is the spec and if converted to 1920x1080 only what's in the 1440 will be encoded, there is no way to automatically add black bars. there is no such thing as 4:3 1440x1080

i don't know where you got it at 1440, but retail wizard of oz blu-rays are 1920p pillarboxed(the side black bars are permanent).
    --
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

The file is 1920x1080, but don't look like the original is at 1440x1080 with black barsat side in my monitor and LCD-TV...Am I wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

By the way, in multiAVCHD the same file re-encoding at 960x720 looks like original with the black bars hard coded at side, I want it at 1080.

Thanks for all your help about this issue.
    Quote Quote  
  7. post a small sample of the video
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Let me explain better, the video was encoded at 1920x1080 taking off the black bar in both side...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Was the AR correct at 1920x1080? what is the PAR ? or was it 1440x1080 with 4:3 PAR, and you are just telling us what you see on the TV, not what the video really is ?

Is it interlaced or progressive ? frame rate ? For example, 1440x1080i60 is compliant with avchd spec

You could resize to 1440x1080 (if interlaced you have to special resize) , then add pillar box

The only way to be sure is to look at a sample
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the only allowed formats for 1440 and 1920 video are 16x9. so the side pillar bars have to be there permanently. even in 1440 anamorphic video.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-07-30_145623.jpg
Views:	1086
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	2897
    --
    Quote Quote  
  11. I think what he's saying is the original active area is 1440x1080 but with pillarbox = 1920x1080 frame size. But someone re-encoded it and cropped it to 1440x1080 (square pixel) then resized it to 1920x1080 (square pixel) , so it's stretched wide . If this were the case, in order to restore the original , you would resize to 1440x1080, re-add the pillar box borders (frame size = 1920x1080)

But instead of us guessing , it would be much easier to examine a sample
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, poisondeathray, yoo're right...a friend of mine give me the file and I want it to convert at AVCHD...but...the aspect ratio looks stretched.

Thanks all for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which software do you recommended for resize to 1440x1080 and re-added the pillar box borders?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Avisynth. Without looking at a sample, I'm guessing these are correct values:

DirectShowSource("video.m2ts")
    LanczosResize(1440,1080)
    AddBorders(240,0,240,0)

You could feed that script into multiavchd directly, for example
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    where? in multiAVCHD?
    Quote Quote  
  16. yes, feed the .avs file into multiavchd

if you don't know how to use avisynth , maybe you could use avidemux to re-encode using resize filters, and add borders filters
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Thanks for the help...I Gonna try later at home...I'm in my work right now....

Best regards,
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My guess - you added it to MultiAVCHD, then started the authoring without considering what MultiAVCHD was telling you. I bet, when you load the video, it appears as red in the list. This indicates that it needs to be transcoded. If you just start authoring now, MultiAVCHD will do as it's told, but the output will be wrong. You need to click on the red title to open it's properties, then click on Transcode. MultiAVCHD will select the correct resolution, including pillarboxing/letterboxing if required. Select 2-pass fast as the encoding mode, and check the bitrate (use a bitrate calculator) because the one thing MultiAVCHD does not seem to be able to do well is set the correct bitrate automatically. OK your way back to the main screen, and set the authoring going. It could well take 5- 6 hours on your machine to re-encode the video and author the disc, but the aspect ratio should now be correct.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  19. There are resize options in the [transcode] window, such as: 1440x1080 (4:3), which is exactly what he needs. It will add the black bars.
    Laugh and the world will laugh with you. Cry and you will be alone
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Thanks all for your help.

I do like Dean said and everything is ok, downscaling to 960x720 work fine too.

mission accomplished

Thanks again to all for your help!!!
    Quote Quote  
  21. I'm glad you completed the task. Please take the time to examine the options multiAVCHD gives you. It will make things easier.

Dean
    Laugh and the world will laugh with you. Cry and you will be alone
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AVCHDCoder will automatically add black borders if the source is 1440x1080 with a 1:1 pixel aspect ratio. This is on of the most powerfull features of AVCHDCoder. Never need to do it manually. (That is the idea)
    Quote Quote