VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Just wondering if anyone else received a check from them? As some of you may remember AMD was sued by 2 guys over the whole calling the Bulldozer CPUs they released 8 core instead of quad core, and the lawsuit received class action status. A while ago I received a letter abut the suit and proposed settlement, saying I had been identified as someone that may have purchased a product related to the lawsuit. I had bought an FX8320 years ago, so I filled out a claim form but since I didn't have a receipt, I didn't think much of it, I figured either the claim would be rejected or I would receive like $20 at the most.

Today I went to my PO Box and I discovered a check from AMD for $152, which now that I think about it is nearly exactly what I had paid for it.

As a side note, it's kind of scary when you think about it, that years after the fact, they are able to track down who bought a specific processor and send them a letter that they may be entitled to money. I had bought the CPU, like I buy all my computer stuff, from Microcenter using my credit card, I guess the plaintiff's lawyers must have issued subpoenas to all the major CPU resellers asking for records of who bought an AMD CPU, but the thing is I have moved twice since then and I had changed my number and they still found me.

Glad they did, that $152 is going into my new PC fund for the system I am planning on building once this virus is history and we go back to normal, maybe in a year.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Good story. I have never received a cent from any class action law suits that I had been involved in.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    Just wondering if anyone else received a check from them? As some of you may remember AMD was sued by 2 guys over the whole calling the Bulldozer CPUs they released 8 core instead of quad core, and the lawsuit received class action status. A while ago I received a letter abut the suit and proposed settlement, saying I had been identified as someone that may have purchased a product related to the lawsuit. I had bought an FX8320 years ago, so I filled out a claim form but since I didn't have a receipt, I didn't think much of it, I figured either the claim would be rejected or I would receive like $20 at the most.

Today I went to my PO Box and I discovered a check from AMD for $152, which now that I think about it is nearly exactly what I had paid for it.

As a side note, it's kind of scary when you think about it, that years after the fact, they are able to track down who bought a specific processor and send them a letter that they may be entitled to money. I had bought the CPU, like I buy all my computer stuff, from Microcenter using my credit card, I guess the plaintiff's lawyers must have issued subpoenas to all the major CPU resellers asking for records of who bought an AMD CPU, but the thing is I have moved twice since then and I had changed my number and they still found me.

Glad they did, that $152 is going into my new PC fund for the system I am planning on building once this virus is history and we go back to normal, maybe in a year.

AMD: "We hope the message is loud and clear.... DO NOT cross us. We WILL find you!"

Edit: On the subject of AMD. After a lifetime of respectable, budget Intel Celeron & Atom based computers, i've finally built my first High-End Pc and it's my first AMD system too. Ryzen 5 3400g, baby! I may not go back to Intel. AMD's integrated Graphics are glorious.
    Last edited by Super Warrior; 11th Jun 2020 at 22:08.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    Good story. I have never received a cent from any class action law suits that I had been involved in.
    The last time I received a cash settlement, I'd already moved twice, and it was about $60 (down from $155+ estimated).

It took almost exactly a decade!

I had to submit a lot of paperwork, and the time I spent was only because it was supposed to be three digits. In the end, it was lots of effort (and toner/ink) for minimal returns.

I'm part of 3 other settlements right now: our dryer, optical drives (long since failed), and Experian. I did the easy no-paperwork/proof option this time, yet expect nothing (especially from Experian) or near-nothing.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 11th Jun 2020 at 23:36.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    I'm part of 3 other settlements right now: our dryer, optical drives (long since failed), and Experian. I did the easy no-paperwork/proof option this time, yet expect nothing (especially from Experian) or near-nothing.
    Yeah, I'm waiting for the Experian also, I thought it was supposed to have been finalized a while ago but then Coronavirus hit and I assumed it had been postponed. Like you I don't really expect to get anything, but after the AMD surprise, who knows.
    Quote Quote