VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Panasonic unveils first VHS/BD units
    http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6627159.html?industryid=47275
    Interesting that they are also into sctreaming content to the units...
    Quote Quote  
  2. So Will it upscale your VHS tapes?
    If it doesn't, your HDTV will.
    Quote Quote  
  3. There are already dvd/vhs combos out there which upconvert your vhs.

As has been said , it has as much to do with your TV as it does anything else, I have a 46 inch Sony Bravia and have been very pleased with what it does with VHS I do play to it.

I find it a little odd that a VHS is being included, thought it was a dead format
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Considering the inferior video quality of VHS, do you really want to upscale it?
    Frank Zappa: "People wouldn't know a good movie if it smacked 'em in the face."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bmwracer
    Considering the inferior video quality of VHS, do you really want to upscale it?
    Some of us watch video for its contents and leave the critical analysis to others.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes the hi-fi analagy strikes me here, you can end up listening to the equipment not the music.

Some DVD's of old material are no better than the VHS equivalent.

Many of us on this forum are not interested in the latest ear splitting surround sound blockbuster.

For myself I was very happy with my 28 inch CRT, but wanted a big screen that looked okay in a living room, thats why I went LCD HDTV , not the picture quality.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bendixG15
    Some of us watch video for its contents and leave the critical analysis to others.
    I'll concede that, but if the content is pixelated to a point where it's unwatchable, then what?
    Quote Quote  
  8. It also strikes me that we are governed by our own experience.

99% of my vhs recordings are better than store bought VHS, and therefore look good played on a good VCR on my LCD.

That is my standard, as you say, some have content which has not been so well recorded.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by victoriabears
    Some DVD's of old material are no better than the VHS equivalent.
    And to the contrary, a lot of old material is a lot better on DVD than on VHS.

Casablanca and Singin' in the Rain come to mind.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have a 16 year old Panasonic VHS player that still works but the problem is I threw away all my VHS tapes because the PQ looks awful on my HDTV.The $200 increase in price isn't justified when you can get a standalone VHS player for under $100.
    Panasonic might think the BD70V appeals to some but a DVD recorder would have made better sense.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK
    I have a 16 year old Panasonic VHS player that still works but the problem is I threw away all my VHS tapes because the PQ looks awful on my HDTV.The $200 increase in price isn't justified when you can get a standalone VHS player for under $100.
    Panasonic might think the BD70V appeals to some but a DVD recorder would have made better sense.
    Yeah, I've a couple of old Sony VHS VCRs and I'm transferring many of my VHS recordings to DVD (Panasonic DMR-ES10) for sentimental reasons (1980's Lakers-Celtics, F1 races, etc.)...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Do you really find the ES10 to your liking?

Plasticky/filmy for my eyes, but then thats what we are discussing in a way, different perspectives of picture quality.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you really find the ES10 to your liking?
    It's okay... It was one of the least expensive DVD recorders at the time.

I'll need to mate it with a DTV converter in about a month, since all analog broadcasts will cease on Feb. 17.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I understand your point, but as jagabo says your HDTV will upscale it anyway if nothing else does, so it's not like you really have a choice here.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Am I right, does upscaling only work with HDMI, as I've had my VCR connecteding using RCA and its great !

Mind you I've not had my eyes tested for 30 years (JOKE!).
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My Toshiba Regza has SRT that upscales any input and my old SVHS tapes look pretty good on it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Am I right, does upscaling only work with HDMI, as I've had my VCR connecteding using RCA and its great !

Mind you I've not had my eyes tested for 30 years (JOKE!).
    LOL.

Does your seeing-eye dog like the picture as well?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had mine tested recently and I bady needed glasses for reading and driving. I find them useless for TV and computer viewing as well as motion picture viewing. You should get your eyes tested as it could show you have degenerative diseases that perhaps can be corrected. Let it wait or injure the eye that may be fine (as in my case, one is fine, the other has a degenerative condition) and it's game over forever...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    evening everyone, and TGIF

Let me tell you that some of you may be watching your VHS on the wrong equipment: HDTV set

These equipment come with hardware image processors. They will more than likely ruin that medium for sure.

I do not have an hdtv set but I am willing to bet that they do not feature any adjustable IP functions, like, to turn it off for some types of video sources..ie, vhs. Adjusting color; gamma; brightness; levels; etc., does not count.

. . .

It is my guess that some software (ie, WMP) tap directly into the hardware of the graphics cards IP and turn everything on, with no mercy.

My ATI Radeon HD-3450 graphics card comes with hardware IP, but it can be adjusted or even turned off. The other alternative (which works well for me) is to just use an alternatve software video player when I play my videos. WMP (window$ media player) is one of the main players tied to IP card makers. If you don't know already, they alway comes driver-supported, or ready for HD: H264/MPEG-2 playback enhanced. And when you play an h264 or mpeg2 video through it, it will "IP" the video and in most cases look awful..at least vhs does..also some of the hardware mpeg2 (captured) videos look awful when played back by this feature.

On my 19" LCD (1680x1050) monitor, and when played back on WMP software, most videos look pretty awful unless the incoming source was already a clean digital source (HD for ie) to begin with--not captured and encoded to mpeg2 from an analog source for instance. Even my best captured and hand-encoded to mpeg-2 videos look awful when played back (on any monitor) through WMP.

When I play a video (including my home-brews) through VLC or PowerDVD v3.0 or cmd-line mpler player, the video looks prestine, be it laserdisc; vhs; analog cabletv; home-brew encoded-to-mpeg-2/h264 videos, they all just look so great.

Now, when it comes to HDTV sets. This is yet another beast. They have their own IP and are prob less forgiving to your videos..specially vhs and your vhs-to-dvd. And I read (here) that more people are using their HDTV sets as a computer monitor--at least for viewing movies. And if this is the case, and even though you might get away with setting up with the better software player, in the end it could be your hdtv set that is ruining your videos to some degree. I say *some* because few people are smart enough to realize all this and figure out a compremised configuration and setup.

Here's the way I see it so far:

BAD
    video -> WMP -> LCD Monitor
    video -> WMP -> HDTV set (aka, monitor)
    video -> graphics card sw player -> LCD Monitor
    video -> graphics card sw player -> HDTV set (aka, monitor)
    1.) or any sofware player that comes stamped/supported w/ graphics card/monitor
    2.) or any sotware stating full (hardware) HD/H264 support
    3.) or any sotware/package stating DXVA support, etc.
    * unless the original source is based from a clean digital source such as HD..though YMMV

GOOD: these do not seem to access the internal IP/DXVA/hardware of your graphics card
    video -> mplayer Player [any video format] -> LCD Monitor
    video -> PowerDVD v3.0 Player [mpeg-2] -> LCD Monitor
    video -> VLC Player [any video format] -> LCD Monitor
    * because these do not make any access to your graphics card (IP) hardware, the destination video plays in its original and untouched, pristine quality.

-vhelp 4998
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by bmwracer
    I'll concede that, but if the content is pixelated to a point where it's unwatchable, then what?
    Squint and/or wipe Vaseline® on your glasses (or screen)
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you really find the ES10 to your liking?
    It's okay... It was one of the least expensive DVD recorders at the time.
    I'll need to mate it with a DTV converter in about a month, since all analog broadcasts will cease on Feb. 17.
    If you are looking for CECB suggestions, I have a couple.

I bought a Channel Master CM7000, and I'm very happy with it as a digital tuner for my DMR-ES10. The picture quality with the S-Video connection is excellent, and the tuner is very good at keeping up with a fluctuating signal. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a timer, and will only stay on for 4 hours before shutting down automatically.

If you want something with timers, there's the Zinwell ZAT950A. It reportedly has a better picture than the DISH boxes (the only others with timers), a manual clock setting (which the DISH boxes don't provide), and 8 timers. The clock/timers use the 24-hour system, so that may take some getting used to.
    Quote Quote