VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!
    I'm have exported a clip from Premiere and the clip was imported into Premiere with a Matrox card, so when I exported it, default was upper field first, which I chose. Now to the question - when I set the settings in my dvd authoring program (Adobe Encore 2.0), should I choose upper field first when setting the encoding settings? Lower field first is default. Using lower first I haven't seen any big artefacts, but I rather want to know why I do things.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dynamique
    Hi!
    I'm have exported a clip from Premiere and the clip was imported into Premiere with a Matrox card, so when I exported it, default was upper field first, which I chose. Now to the question - when I set the settings in my dvd authoring program (Adobe Encore 2.0), should I choose upper field first when setting the encoding settings? Lower field first is default. Using lower first I haven't seen any big artefacts, but I rather want to know why I do things.
    What is the Matrox card Model number?
    What Premiere project format are you using? DV format defaults to bottom field first.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am not at that work station right now, so I can't say about the model nr. Anyway, these Matrox Premiere projects defaulted to upper field first.
    Am I right when I say that upper or lower field first actually only matters within the same program? (not to change field order inside a program)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dynamique
    I am not at that work station right now, so I can't say about the model nr. Anyway, these Matrox Premiere projects defaulted to upper field first.
    Am I right when I say that upper or lower field first actually only matters within the same program? (not to change field order inside a program)
    Matrox cards can be top field first for uncompressed source. Usually for that type of card, Premiere project settings are custom for that card. Project format would usually match the card format (e.g. uncompressed or DV).

First concept to understand is the differences between source format, project format and export format. They can all be the same or different in any combination.

Source Format - a characteriztic of the source file or input stream. Each source can be a different format in the source bins. These can be previewed without conversion in the source window.

Project Format - the common format at the timeline where all sources merge into a common format for editing and filtering.

Export Format - This could be MPeg2 for DVD, DV format for recording, WMV for streaming, etc.

As an example, a Matrox card and project format could be uncompressed top field first.
    Export could be MPeg2 with either top or bottom field first as set in the encoder settings. Encore should use the same field order setting in that case.
    Quote Quote