VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I have a serious issue. I have a few DVD films which I purchased few months ago from different stores, they all play in my DVD player, but they play only black and white.

When I play on an external DVD writer on computer or laptop, they play in colour!

What is the issue I have? My DVD player is of high brand Sony - Sr170
    Last edited by alih786; 9th May 2019 at 15:14.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try a different cable and make sure cables are seated tightly.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
    Try a different cable and make sure cables are seated tightly.

I have, and they are. Different scarts
    Quote Quote  
  4. NTSC DVDs? Lack of PAL60 support?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    NTSC DVDs? Lack of PAL60 support?

I don't know what this is. Its been many years since I last got to know DVDs, please explain.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You state you are from the UK. Were these disks bought in the UK ?

Even so, if they are NTSC (should state on the case) they should play on UK tvs. But check the player settings since NTSC playback may not be automatic.

Oh. And is this player UK sourced. Not a model no I can recognise.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But do PAL disks play in colour on a NTSC player ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Probably the SCART socket on the DVD player. Try using video out (yellow RCA socket)
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  9. If the problem only happens with NTSC discs I see two possibilities:

1) The player is putting out a PAL60 signal (NTSC timing, PAL chroma subcarrier) and the TV doesn't handle PAL60. This is unlikely as most PAL TVs support PAL60.

2) The player is putting out a pure NTSC signal (NTSC timing, NTSC chroma subcarrier) and the TV is looking for a PAL chroma carrier.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by alih786 View Post
    Hi, I have a serious issue. I have a few DVD films which I purchased few months ago from different stores, they all play in my DVD player, but they play only black and white.

When I play on an external DVD writer on computer or laptop, they play in colour!

What is the issue I have? My DVD player is of high brand Sony - Sr170
    try checking your dvd player and see if there's a PAL - NTSC switch.
    is your TV set to the right video input from your DVD player ??
    look on the back of the box the DVD disc came in and tell us what region the disc is ( should say for example REGION 1 )
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    You state you are from the UK. Were these disks bought in the UK ?

Even so, if they are NTSC (should state on the case) they should play on UK tvs. But check the player settings since NTSC playback may not be automatic.

Oh. And is this player UK sourced. Not a model no I can recognise.
    Yes I'm based in UK. These disks were bought in UK -- but there is nothing wrong with them. I currently have a CRT TV only, Hitachi which I use. The Sony DVD player supports NTSC and pal
    Image Attached Thumbnails c1426r_instructions_for_use.pdf  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There, obviously, is nothing wrong with the disks since you already stated that they play fine on a PC player.

NTSC disks could be one cause and it is not unusual to see NTSC disks sold in the UK. Maybe you can advise what these disks are.

But have you used this combination of tv and player before with other disks? Have you changed anything?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There, obviously, is nothing wrong with the disks since you already stated that they play fine on a PC player.

NTSC disks could be one cause and it is not unusual to see NTSC disks sold in the UK. Maybe you can advise what these disks are.

But have you used this combination of tv and player before with other disks? Have you changed anything?
    Yes ive used them before, the only thing I changed was TV. Had a 50" Bush LED - didn't last long so disposed of it and got a CRT TV which lasts longer and better picture quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And just to clarify. Did these particular disks, the ones that are now in B&W, play fine on the LED?. Just to eliminate the disks from the diagnosis.

And have other disks played on the CRT ?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Assuming these are commercially produced DVDs, they should be marked with a region number on both the discs and the back of the case. What is it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also, read page 13 of the tv manual about switching AV modes. Could be that simple.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And just to clarify. Did these particular disks, the ones that are now in B&W, play fine on the LED?. Just to eliminate the disks from the diagnosis.

And have other disks played on the CRT ?
    It is neither the disc or player. It is the TV. CRT TV plays only b&w most DVD disks. I bought a new TV - LED --- plays same DVD in Color!

What can I do to make it play in color on CRT TV?

Kind Regards.
    Quote Quote  
  19. if the crt has two scart inputs, see if one is marked rgb - use that one
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jokster View Post
    if the crt has two scart inputs, see if one is marked rgb - use that one
    Only one scart input mate
    Quote Quote  
  21. it was worth a shot.
    i remember having to do that with a panny many years ago.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Only one scart input mate
    can you post a screen shot of the back of the CRT TV ??
    in order to see all the hook ups it has.
    and who is the manufacture & what is the model of the CRT TV ??
    Last edited by october262; 4th Jul 2019 at 20:01.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    only one scart input mate
    can you post a screen shot of the back of the crt tv ??
    In order to see all the hook ups it has.
    And who is the manufacture & what is the model of the crt tv ??
    hitachi
    c1426r
    [Attachment 49517 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 49518 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    are you using the yellow & white connections that are on the front
    of the TV or the connections on the back of the TV ??
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    are you using the yellow & white connections that are on the front
    of the TV or the connections on the back of the TV ??
    The Back.

My DVD player only has a Scart connection. And I do not have a yellow and white rc/rgb cable for the TV front.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @october262: All the answers to your questions have already been provided. alih786 posted a link to download the TV's manual. The cover pic provided with the link says "Hitachi C1426R". alih786 also posted pictures showing that he is using SCART to connect the TV. Also, the Sony DVP-SR170 DVD player has SCART as its one and only connection. Without a SCART to composite adapter, there is no option to use the RCA jacks at the front of the TV for audio and video.

Since alih786 posted a link to download the TV's manual, I looked at the manual. The Hitachi C1426R is a little 14-inch CRT TV with a PAL analog tuner. The TV has a composite video jack in front and a SCART connection in the back. The TV manual never mentions NTSC or PAL-60. I suspect that this TV is more than 10 years old. The TV could lack some of the usual features present in newer LCD TVs or better CRT TVs, such as the ability to use NTSC color.

The Sony DVP-SR170 DVD player's specs say the following: COLOUR SYSTEM PAL / NTSC, but the manual doesn't contain information about a setting to choose one color system or the other for output. The player could automatically output PAL color for PAL DVDs and output NTSC color for NTSC DVDs. If so, jagabo/s theory about the TV receiving an NTSC color carrier that it is unable to use could well be correct. Other than trying a DVD player that is known to output a PAL-60 signal over SCART I can't think of anything else to try.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    @october262: All the answers to your questions have already been provided. alih786 posted a link to download the TV's manual. The cover pic provided with the link says "Hitachi C1426R". alih786 also posted pictures showing that he is using SCART to connect the TV. Also, the Sony DVP-SR170 DVD player has SCART as its one and only connection. Without a SCART to composite adapter, there is no option to use the RCA jacks at the front of the TV for audio and video.

Since alih786 posted a link to download the TV's manual, I looked at the manual. The Hitachi C1426R is a little 14-inch CRT TV with a PAL analog tuner. The TV has a composite video jack in front and a SCART connection in the back. The TV manual never mentions NTSC or PAL-60. I suspect that this TV is more than 10 years old. The TV could lack some of the usual features present in newer LCD TVs or better CRT TVs, such as the ability to use NTSC color.

The Sony DVP-SR170 DVD player's specs say the following: COLOUR SYSTEM PAL / NTSC, but the manual doesn't contain information about a setting to choose one color system or the other for output. The player could automatically output PAL color for PAL DVDs and output NTSC color for NTSC DVDs. If so, jagabo/s theory about the TV receiving an NTSC color carrier that it is unable to use could well be correct. Other than trying a DVD player that is known to output a PAL-60 signal over SCART I can't think of anything else to try.
    Thank you for your response. It is the TV itself which does not support new DVD players. I currently have a Panasonic TV, LED SMART.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your response. It is the TV itself which does not support new DVD players. I currently have a Panasonic TV, LED SMART.
    Yes, I think that your Hitachi CRT TV is not a good choice to use with your Sony DVD player. I think a different DVD player that provided PAL-60 output when playing NTSC DVDs would be more likely to work with that particular TV. Most PAL TVs have supported PAL-60 signals since the days of VHS.

Since you do get a black-and-white picture for some DVDs and color for others when using your Sony DVD player with your Hitachi CRT TV, I agree with jagabo's theory that the presence of NTSC's color information in the signal from the Sony DVD player is the most likely is the cause of the problem you are having with your Hitachi TV. Like jagabo wrote, PAL-60 signal is almost the same as an NTSC signal, except that it provides color information using PAL's system.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by alih786 View Post
    It is the TV itself which does not support new DVD players.
    No, your TV has no way of knowing whether the input is a DVD player, an OTA tuner, a satellite tuner, a VHS deck, an SD video camera, etc. SD composite video has not changed in the last ~60 years. Most of the possible issues and solutions have already been discussed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Check the settings of your DVD player, a number of players (available in AU) have a setting to output only PAL regardless of what format the DVD is (so it converts NTSC to PAL, as others have said your DVD player is just on-passing the format of the DVD (NTSC or PAL)
    Quote Quote