VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a front-end or script for mkvmerge that makes it easier to merge content from multiple source files? BTW, I'm on Windows.
    For example, say I have two folders with each having different versions of the same 13-episode anime. I need a way to automate scenarios like this:
    - Merge all tracks from one version except subtitles and merge only subtitles from the other version
    or
    - Merge all tracks from one version except video and merge only video from the other version

Currently I would add the source files manually into mkvmergegui, enable/disable tracks, add the job to the queue, and then repeat for the next set of files. This is rather tedious and takes a long time if there are many files involved.

Is there an app or script that will read in the track content from each set of files and have some basic filter to specify the track types to keep from each source file?
    eg: source A: no video / all audio / all subtitles / all chapters; source B: all video / no audio / no subtitles / no chapters

Mkvmergegui has an option to export an options file that includes the track information from each of the sources. Is there a way for mkvmerge to generate an options file from the commandline? If could then script a way to have mkvmerge create an options file from multiple source files, modify the options file, and then feed the new options file back into mkvmerge. If not, then I need to find a way to extract the track information from each of the source files in a format that is compatible with mkvmerge.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Update: I see that mkvmerge has an --identify parameter to list the contents of files. This will help for a DIY solution. But curious if there is anything existing so I don't have to reinvent the wheel.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You don't need to use --identify for this job because you are either copying all or no tracks of a certain kind (video/audio/subs/chapters) from a given input file. By default mkvmerge copies e.g. all audio tracks. And no audio tracks if you specify --no-audio.
    E.g. for file A.mkv and B.mkv:
    Code:
    mkvmerge -o "output.mkv" --no-audio --no-subtitles --no-chapters "B.mkv" --no-video "A.mkv"
    https://mkvtoolnix.download/doc/mkvmerge.html

The biggest problem is getting the file names (and paths) of "A.mkv" and "B.mkv" automatically.
    Quote Quote