VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I own a Panasonic DMP-BDT280 DVD player. When playing my own created 1920x1080 25i H.264 discs the motion especialy on pan shots is very jerky. The same files played in computer have beautifully smooth motion. So the player seems to be rubbish? Can anyone recommend a player which plays properly, and will also play 60p?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what are you burning the h264 files onto? dvdr? bdr? if you are putting high bitrate h264 on a dvdr no standalone will play it well as the bitrate probably exceeds the max allowable on dvd. you'd need to burn them onto bdr to play smoothly. playing files on a computer has nothing to do with what will play on a disc. try playing the files off of a network drive or usb drive inserted into the player. those should work ok.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That sounds like a really good answer. I'll try it tomorrow. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The player may be playing the video with the wrong field order.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The player may be playing the video with the wrong field order.
    Why would it do that? I havn't got any BR discs at the moment so I can't test it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. If it's DVD media, that's almost certainly the issue .

The transfer rate is lower than BD media , the safe value for DVD media is <15Mb/s so likely you have buffering and transfer issues

You have to use correct settings if your goal was to use DVD media

A wrong field order issue would exhibit problems everywhere with motion, not just a pan . It would look like forward/back/forward back
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll never use DVDs again. Here's a related problem though: a BR disc taken from 16mm film at 24 fps plays with very bad motion, but it used to play OK on my old player. Presumably this player (the Panasonic) is no use for 24fps?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by timsky View Post
    I'll never use DVDs again. Here's a related problem though: a BR disc taken from 16mm film at 24 fps plays with very bad motion, but it used to play OK on my old player. Presumably this player (the Panasonic) is no use for 24fps?
    It could be several things, but Panasonic players are known to be more finicky with homebrew discs (compared to retail pressed discs), than other brand players in general. Certain firmware versions might be better

But it might be encoding settings problem , muxing problem , authoring problem , many things

Also some players are known to be more forgiving, and play out of spec discs.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. Can you recommend a good player which will play everything: 24fps 25i 25p 30i 30p 50p 60p 4k etc
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by timsky View Post
    Can you recommend a good player which will play everything: 24fps 25i 25p 30i 30p 50p 60p 4k etc
    I don't know .

UHD players are newer, and there are going to be a few revisions

And there are always some compatibility issues with certain rare things

HTPC if you want 100% everything playable, out of spec authoring, home made stuff
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now I've bought some BR discs. But now it wont burn to disc. The file is a normal 1920x1080 25i file, but it says I/O Error! Synchronise cache failed. Reason: Write Error.

First I tried to burn it at 12x write speed, then 2x write speed. Same for both.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by timsky View Post
    Now I've bought some BR discs. But now it wont burn to disc. The file is a normal 1920x1080 25i file, but it says I/O Error! Synchronise cache failed. Reason: Write Error.

First I tried to burn it at 12x write speed, then 2x write speed. Same for both.
    Does the player say that, or the software burning it ?

What software are you using to burn/write ? Has it ever worked before with a BD disc ? Check for updates or check your burner hardware for updates such as firmware

Did you encode the file to BD specs ? Did you author it ? or is this as a data disc ? What are you using for those and to burn ?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the software says it. I use imgburn which worked perfectly well in the past with BR discs. This is a film, not a data disc. I authered it. I didn't encode the disc to BR specs, but I never did in the past and it burned OK. The discs are Verbatim 25GB.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I don't know, bad batch of discs ? unlikely and Verbatim's are usually pretty solid

How far off BD specs ? What is the average bitrate ?

Some picky players won't play stuff if you're off a bit (not just bitrate, there is a bunch of other stuff that make it blu-ray compatible) even if it authored correctly and burned ok
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried exporting it from Pro as H.264 Blu-ray, but it still won't burn. Now it says Incompatible Format.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Did you author it first ?

An authoring program should reject incompatible streams , but cheap ones tend to let bad stream pass through
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is authoring?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Wow. Just wow. That answers a lot of questions.

How about checking "what is DVD?" above.

Scott
    Quote Quote