VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there,

I just got a portable DVD player (Visteon Dockable Entertainment System), and I'm looking to get some hookups so that I can use it on a television. The highest quality output it is capable of is S-Video, which is perfectly fine for my setup. My question is, what kind of cords do I need?

The only video out port on the unit is a 3.5mm jack. The only direct 3.5mm to S-Video cord I can find online is this one; would this work? Obviously I'd need to run audio separately, but that's easy enough to do. I'm just not sure about the video. If I can't use this cord, then the only other thing I can think of doing would be to do some workaround like 3.5mm>BNC>S-Video, but preferably I would like to avoid that for compatibility and quality concerns.

If anyone with experience running their portable DVD player to TV can chime in, that'd be really helpful. And if there's a better cord to buy then the one I posted above, please let me know.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This unit?: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visteon_Dockable_Entertainment. Seems to be a Gameboy unit for cars from 2006.
    Does your TV have a S-video input?
    Quote Quote  
  3. There's no standard for s-video on a 4 conductor pinplug connector. Each vendor uses their own mapping. That cable may or may not work. Just spend $20 and buy a new DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    This unit?: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visteon_Dockable_Entertainment. Seems to be a Gameboy unit for cars from 2006.
    Does your TV have a S-video input?
    Yes, that unit. Pretty neat DVD/GBA combo. My TV does not actually have an S-Video input, however I have an S-Video to HDMI converter box that works fine with other game consoles. Also, I do have a PVM monitor that I use for other things that does have a direct S-Video input.

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    There's no standard for s-video on a 4 conductor pinplug connector. Each vendor uses their own mapping. That cable may or may not work. Just spend $20 and buy a new DVD player.
    I see. Well it's not about the DVD functionality (I've got a Xbox One with blu-ray for that), it's this unit in particular with Gameboy Advance functionality that I'd like to get hooked to my TV so that I can play GBA games on my TV with it.

I know for a fact that it's possible to do 3.5mm to S-Video because this video shows it working. I'm just not sure what cables I need to do it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by ApolloVI View Post
    I know for a fact that it's possible to do 3.5mm to S-Video
    Of course it's possible. The issue is whether that iPod cable uses the same mapping at the 3.5mm end. If not you won't get a picture. You could even fry the device or TV.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For the cost and time of trying to get your unit working (which will give you mediocre results at best), you'd be better off getting an Android box or Raspberry Pi for <$50 and installing a GBA emulator and ROMs. I won't discuss getting the ROMs in keeping with the rules of this site.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by ApolloVI View Post
    Of course it's possible. The issue is whether that iPod cable uses the same mapping at the 3.5mm end. If not you won't get a picture. You could even fry the device or TV.
    Noted. I'm not hung up on the direct 3.5mm to S-Video cable. I'll get whatever I need to make it work. So what's the workaround the guy used in the video I posted?

Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    For the cost and time of trying to get your unit working (which will give you mediocre results at best), you'd be better off getting an Android box or Raspberry Pi for <$50 and installing a GBA emulator and ROMs. I won't discuss getting the ROMs in keeping with the rules of this site.
    Thanks, I'm aware of that but I'm not interested in ROMs. I have a large game collection and I want to use my real hardware. Plus it's for novelty's sake to get it working.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by ApolloVI View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by ApolloVI View Post
    Noted. I'm not hung up on the direct 3.5mm to S-Video cable. I'll get whatever I need to make it work. So what's the workaround the guy used in the video I posted?
    He got a cable made specifically for the device. At the s-video end there is a definite standard:
    http://pinouts.ru/visual/gen/SVideo.jpg

But at the 3.5mm end there is no standard. Here are just a few variations:
    http://members.optusnet.com.au/toppytools/images/av-pinouts.jpg

None of those is for s-video, obviously. I was unable to find a wiring diagram for s-video on a 3.5mm jack. I just wanted to show how there are many variations on 4 pin 3.5mm jacks.

You may be lucky and find the cable you linked to works. Even if it doesn't work it probably won't fry either device or present a danger to you (we're talking about <1 volt low current signals). If you know someone with an oscilloscope they can check the device and cable to determine if the cable is correctly wired for you.
    Last edited by jagabo; 10th Aug 2018 at 20:35.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Look up the model of the device, find the part number of the official adapter accessory, buy it on ebay.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had something similar with my WDTV live, I picked it up used with the cable missing -
    The mini-plug to composite/audio cable had a custom pin-out; the generic one I had laying around didn't work.

A weird happened when I emailed them, they took my name and address, told me it would cost
    $20. I didn't order it right away because I wanted to see if I could find a deal on eBay.
    Then about 3 days later it showed up in the mail, even though I never officially ordered nor paid for it.

Thanks WDTV!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    I would buy the eBay cable. If you're lucky, it will just work. If not, then cut the cable, strip the conductors and try swapping them around until it does. A multimeter would make finding the connections easier. Then solder, stick on some shrink tubing, and done.
    Quote Quote