VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,

I'm located in the US where I purchased new, a Sony DVP-NS55P approx. ~10 years ago from Sears. There is no region code stamped on the player nor any region settings I'm able to find from it's setup menus. The user manual doesn't even include the word "region" in the manual.

Is this dvd player multi-region? or region less? or because it was sold in the US a region 1 dvd player?

I don't play or own many DVDs, as I mostly online stream from Netflick, Hulu, Vudu, etc.

However I'm looking to purchase a DVD movie that's not available online and I've only been able to find for sale as a Region 2 DVD and wondering before purchasing if it would require a different dvd player such as one that's region 2 or known to be multi-region?
    Quote Quote  
  2. If it was sold in the US it's a region 1 DVD player. Rip your region 2 DVD and watch it on your computer or other media player.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Any DVD-R copying software will convert to NTSC region 1 ? I'm uncertain if the region 2 dvd is PAL or NTSC format.

I may need to use some sort of conversion program or there are DVD rippers that will convert to NTSC region 1?

DVD software currently installed is a part of Windows 10 and also ImageBurn which is able to copy/burn dvds and image files.

I don't want to use my Windows 10 DVD/RW drive as it's limited to 5 region changes.

I did find a hack for the DVP-NS55P that has worked at least for one person

Region code hack posted by Reeio, November 23 2006:
    _________

I have tried the Tray Aging mode with my brand new Region 1 DVP-NS55P purchased in the US at Best Buy. It can now play Region 2 DVD perfectly. I do not know if the Tray Aging method made it region free, since I only have Region 1 and 2 dvds.

MAIN PROCEDURE

1. Turn off NS55P, leave TV on.
    2. Using the original remote supplied with the NS55P, press these buttons in order: DISPLAY, TOP MENU, CLEAR, POWER.
    3. NS55P will turn on, displaying the secret menu on the tv screen.
    4. Select 2: Drive Manual Operation, then 4: Tray Aging Mode.
    5. The screen then shows two input lines: Input Count and Current Count. Use the code 00030 on the first line. Pressing zero first will take you back to the original menu, so instead of trying to type 0-0-0-3-0, try something like 1-0-0-0-3-0 so the 1 in the front disappears after the last zero is entered.
    6. Press ENTER on the remote. Disk tray will then open and close automatically 30 times. Let it do this until it finishes.
    7. Repeat steps 4-6, but instead of using 00030 in the Input Count, use 00000. Press ENTER, and the NS55P is now capable of reading Region 2 dvds.
  4. Region codes are just a number on a DVD and in a player. Licensed DVD player software has to check both and verify a match before playing. Unlicensed software doesn't care. DVD rippers don't care. NTSC vs. PAL refers to properties of the video (NTSC = 720x480 at 29.97 fps, PAL = 720x576 at 25 fps). Your computer doesn't care and will play both. If you have a media player in your TV, or connected to your TV, it probably won't care either.

I'd recommend you use MakeMKV. It has the ability to bypass region codes, decrypt the files, and produce an MKV file with no loss of quality.

Note that region code hacks are often disabled by updated firmware. The hacks don't exist for you. They exist for the convenience of the manufacturer (who sells the same physical player in multiple regions).
    Last edited by jagabo; 1st Aug 2018 at 22:42.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Ok, I'll give that a try.

What I normally do is copy all my dvd's to iso files, storing the physical dvds for safe keeping. I also own a few dvd movies discs converted to iso files. I then use the iso files as a virtual dvd drive to install an application or play a movie. I tried at one time to keep and use cds and dvds as installation or player media however the cds and dvds eventually became scratched up and unusable. So now I mainly use iso files stored on a backup drive.

Most movies I watch from online streaming such as Netflix, Hulu and Vudu and haven't used a dvd player for quite a long time. Years ago I mainly rented dvds played from a dvd player, however now one can rent movies to be streamed online so I haven't found a need to rent physical dvds.
    Quote Quote