VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I converted an MP4 to AVI with Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate, version 5.5.1. My computer is an older machine with XP but I ran into some problems that seem odd, even for an older machine.

MP4: 689 MB, 794 kbps bit rate.

I converted at 1200 kbps, and the program said the output file should be 989 MB, but it ended up being over 3 GB and took 3 hours to convert.

Does anyone know if this program's a piece of junk or could something else be going on here? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use xmedia recode. Use the avi hardware/dvd player preset if you want avi xvid.

But why do you need to convert?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Because all the MP4 movies I download from the Web these days are out of sync. AVI and MKV play perfectly. I've tried different players, different settings and different codecs. Nothing works. So I thought I'd try converting one and see what happens.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Have you tried simply changing the container format to MKV rather than re-encoding the MP4 files? You can do this with MKVToolnix, which is free to use.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks a lot for that. I tried it on a couple of MP4s and the initial results look promising. I'll use it for awhile and report back. It sure seems a lot better than re-encoding the whole thing every time.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I think I found the real problem. It's the ones that are 1080p. These don't play right on the computer. I tried remuxing one with MKVToolNix but it didn't fix anything.

I've been trying XMedia Recode and it seems pretty good. Can it handle converting 1080p to a regular AVI or MP4 that I can play on a computer? If not, can anyone recommend one that does a good job? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What are your full PC specs? I'm willing to bet it's not the files but your computer that can't handle the video.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  8. I agree. It's an 11 year old Dell desktop. I don't think 1080p can be easily converted. I tried XMedia Recode and Wonderfox HD Converter Factory Pro (which according to its specs is supposed to be able to), but the output files turned out huge and took forever to convert. On top of this, they still wouldn't play right on this Dell. I'm just gonna avoid these type of files from now on. At least I now know which ones to avoid.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by pdun459 View Post
    I agree. It's an 11 year old Dell desktop. I don't think 1080p can be easily converted.
    I think what he's getting at is that your computer is so old that the out-of-synch problems are a result. If played on a newer and better computer they would no longer be out of synch. If true, then reencoding, while it might fix the problem, especially if you reencode to a lower resolution and filesize, isn't the real solution. Getting a newer computer is.
    Quote Quote